Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC sheets

Drew Wiley

Re: PVC sheets

Sign shops generally use the version called Sintra. I used Sintra on certain components of my big portable outdoor drum processor (not the drums themselves).

Yes, Sintra is what we will be using on my darkroom sink.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Has anyone clicked a finger on a mouse to google "flood tables for hydroponics" yet!?!!! They are fantastic, cheap, different sizes, ready made, less than the cost of materials to make one from scratch, and strong...

What are you waiting for!?!!!! (I understand if someone has a custom build requirement, but!?!!!)

Steve K
    I clicked! Very awesome, thanks for the heads up.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I just picked up a ton of 1/2" x 12' x14" sintra out of the dumpster at my plastics supplier. I could have filled my trailer but not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Drew Wiley

Sintra can be heat-bent as well as solvent welded. Just practice on scraps, using a heat gun slowly with a lateral spreader tip back and forth at modest temp,
    before trying a serious bending project. It's far more cooperative than most PVC sheet goods, and indeed suitable for things like sinks if thick enough.

Sintra ( foamed PVC sheet ) is not very good at shock resistance in less than 1/2" thick, I use it a lot in fabricating props,
    while it's easy to use and light weight I would think twice about using as sink.

Drew Wiley

Yes, Jim, you'd obviously want to put some wooden struts below it for structural support. But ABS cracks easily too if it's not thick, especially at very low temps.
    Plenty of commercially mfg ABS dkrm sinks were way thinner and more fragile than anything I'd choose. With wooden sinks it's the inevitable expansion/contraction stresses over time they cause the failure. And of course, there's the hybrid option: Make your plywood shell or shelf at least, then a thin ABS or Sintra seam-welded liner, which would be dramatically superior to paint in the long haul. Lots of ways to do it. Or just look for a local architectural salvage
    yard. Torn out old lab fixtures go for next to nothing.

Better Sense,
    I don't know where you are in NC, but I wrote the article and am in Chapel Hill. I got mine at a plastics fabrication place south of Raleigh. Also, Piedmont Plastics, which has several outlets in NC, carries PVC sheets and will cut it to size for you.

My sink is now 16 yrs old and I have never had a leak!

Mike

hacker extraordinaire

I am in South Durham.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

If I were buding a sink I'd build it out of plywood, put strips on the bottom to keep trays up and allow water to drain, put the drain in and take it to a pickup bed liner company that sprays the plastic coating in the beds and have them spray it. Inexpensive and no leaks.