Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: F11 magazine, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee featured

Re: F11 magazine, Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee featured

Thanks to a number of you who have supported me in this discussion. If I can find the time, I will try to get here more often.

David from Te Anau. Get our email address from our web site www.michaelandpaula.com and send me your address and phone number. We will be be passing through Te Anau. Probably twice. This trip for us is a scouting trip and as part of it Paula and I hope to meet many photographers.

Michael A. Smith

Plain talk and positive action is often criticised. Your defense was necessary. I understood you well.

Thank you.

Michael, I realize that your focus has been on your AZO forum and website; but your expertise in silver chloride paper printing would be of definite benefit to this large format community. Might I suggest that you could start a thread here on silver chloride paper printing. It could be a long running thread such as some of the others whereby you and others could post on the subject. Ideally, it could become a topic with multiple threads. Just a thought.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I don't think any of use who criticized the comments in the article misunderstood it. I certainly didn't. It clearly wasn't about the pictures, it was about print quality. My criticism stands. Re comparisons of contact papers to enlarging papers, blacks, etc. etc., there are some facts but also some myths and lore. Unfortunately rational discussions about these things are virtually impossible.

I for one would like to compare Lodima against the other papers available that I currently use.

I am about to launch a service of making very large silver negatives for Contact use and I always thought this paper (Lodima) needs to be tested
    once I am ready to go. This service is aimed at digital capture to historical silver and Alt practitioners.

I will contact Michael once I have the Lambda producing the neg's, purchase some paper and recommended their dev, and do my own tests directly in my darkroom .

I am very excited in what Tim Parkin is doing with Led contact systems , as I believe there is a possible workaround to make a very large UV and Silver contact printing
    unit with vacuum that is multi purpose for Silver printing and Pt Pd printing that I am actively involved with.
    My bucket list would be that the unit powers up with adequate light for silver , but also can amp up for UV light for Pt Pd.
    I just need an engineering geek to figure this one out.

We are definitely in a very nice period of time where there are so many options available to the serious printmaker.

Lodima is an excellent contact paper in my experience/testing.

Old School Wayne

+ 1. Back in the good old days of analog abundance some of these forum fights over personalities were occasionally ( and sadly) fun sport, but I think we as practitioners need all the support we can get these days. And like it or not Michael has done a lot for practitioners and lovers of photography.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    Thank you, Michael, for your various postings. You've certainly made every effort to be clearly understood.

With regard to the exhibited prints, It's clear you were speaking of the difference between the quality of silver chloride paper compared to enlarging papers. Unfortunately, the statement, if not carefully read, can be misunderstood.

It's regrettable when quotes are misinterpreted and twisted beyond original intent, flavored and fueled by third party commentary. That's when negativity arises and the atmosphere of a forum loses its humanity. Unfortunately, the presentation of your quote from f11 opened the door.

There are many here who do not hesitate expressing strong opinions about all sorts of things. While that makes the forum interesting, it can become destructive when conversation leads to negativity or comments are misunderstood.

I hope your clarifications help those who have any doubts about what you intended.

Both you and Paula have done many positive things for LF Photography. Your publishing and teaching efforts are most commendable as is your stature as a photographer and your overall devotion to photography over so many years. Those who appreciate and use Azo type paper are, no doubt, indebted to you for keeping the paper alive.

Although I have no connection to you as a student, or otherwise --

I look at your track record and say a kind "Thank You" for your contribution to LF.

There is a saying that if you do not have any enemy's you are not trying hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    There is a saying that if you do not have any enemy's you are not trying hard enough.
    indeed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I for one would like to compare Lodima against the other papers available that I currently use.

I am about to launch a service of making very large silver negatives for Contact use and I always thought this paper (Lodima) needs to be tested
    once I am ready to go. This service is aimed at digital capture to historical silver and Alt practitioners.

I will contact Michael once I have the Lambda producing the neg's, purchase some paper and recommended their dev, and do my own tests directly in my darkroom .

I am very excited in what Tim Parkin is doing with Led contact systems , as I believe there is a possible workaround to make a very large UV and Silver contact printing
    unit with vacuum that is multi purpose for Silver printing and Pt Pd printing that I am actively involved with.
    My bucket list would be that the unit powers up with adequate light for silver , but also can amp up for UV light for Pt Pd.
    I just need an engineering geek to figure this one out.

We are definitely in a very nice period of time where there are so many options available to the serious printmaker.
    This is exciting Bob. You will get some business from me on this.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"