Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: RC advocates please chime in

Re: RC advocates please chime in

Here is my first darkroom print I ever made. RC glossy. Made in the Fred Harvey employee darkroom on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. 1977. I had no one to see me through the processing, but I must of had some instructions. I just went for it and all sorts of things could have gone wrong. If I had made a better scan of it, you would see a wonderful crackled surface to the print -- I don't believe Kodak ever had a letter representing this type of paper surface.

It was on my parents' wall for over 30 years, despite my many offers to reprint it. It may have gotten a little sun as the sun set over the ocean. Weak, but 30 years worth. Funny thing is that I recently came across my other copy of this -- it was stuck between pages of a book. Looks almost as good as the day I made it...it is not LF (120).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First PrintedPhoto.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I use RC for contacts and quick prints but I've followed the prevailing wisdom and keep buying fiber paper for my "good prints" (note: not really that good) but honestly, I hate the stuff. I can never get it perfectly flat and holding the print in hand it feels stiff like a potato chip. To me, an RC print (color or B&W) feels like I am holding an actual photograph. Maybe just what I'm used to.

I've printed in Ilford's Portfolio RC and it's really nice stuff, really liked how my prints turned out. I'll keep printing with the fiber paper I have but next time I order large paper for "good prints" I might just go with the Portfolio RC.

hacker extraordinaire

I only use RC. It is all I have ever been set to print. Glossy. I suppose I don't know better but I am OK with that.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I use both. RC is great to make working prints and snaps. I've been lucky to get an old Ilford quartz radiant heat dryer. Dries an 11 x 14 in about 12 seconds, slightly melts the gelatine into an incredible high gloss on ilford paper.
    I love fiber, I've always made my best prints on fiber. Nothing tones as well, has the same warmth. It takes forever to wash, drying can be a pain, I use Pako drum dryers. It usually takes me 3 sessions at least before I end up with what I want.
    Boy I miss Ektalure.

I often use PE, but I don't like it much.
    Checking out a lot, for me it is good to save some money.
    Fomaspeed, MGIV, all are good papers, so is my impression.
    But, again for me, they don't feel right.

But the main reason to bring my best pictures onto Baryta is, that I often have found that PE isn't possible to bring the last subtile nuances.
    P.e. I tried to print old glassplates, which are rich in everything, but only Baryta showed me the whole quality of the plates.

The same - sometimes - with new film and especially with my 135mm Eurynar.
    This lovely old lens has a special look which will come best on Baryta, I can't explain, but it is.

So for me, FB is a bit more subtile and FB has more deepness.
    And it has a better feeling, what may be very subjective.

Ritchie