Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format and rain

Large Format and rain

How about having a full time umbrella holder to protect you ala Michael Jackson??? I think I would opt for one cuter though.

Large Format and rain

i think shooting in the rain is fun

Large Format and rain

Take along wife/husband/significantother and an umbrella. Tell W/H/SO that he/she can stand under whatever part of the umbrella isn't needed for the camera.

Large Format and rain

I often make photo's in the rain. I have two approaches. If there is no/ little wind, I use a homemade darkcloth, made out of a sort of 'gortexlike' material from 'Penine Outdoors'. I had my wife sew pockets in, so that I could put plastic stiffeners in the front to make a wrap around cloth with a built in lens hood.

If it is very windy, I use a Black Jacket and halt for heavy showers. I also carry a 'Paramo' towl -fleecy wicking sort of stuff, that was cut lengthways to wear as a scarf, the other half was split in two to make a small towl and a travelling face flannel. These very effectively dry off the camera after a rain shower.

Finally my ever indulgent wife made me a waterproof nylon rain hood for my Linhof, so that when it really rains, I put this on it and wait till it stops. I prefer the nylon rain hood because it has much less windage than wrapping a dark cloth or dark hood aroundthe cameara and I have already lost one camera that way!

Robin

Large Format and rain

So many UK LFers! Must have been the rain/drizzle that brought us all out. I take most of my pics out in the southern Pennines, so rain of all kinds can be a problem. I bought a Walker Titan because of it's all weather capiabilities, but I still have to protect the lens and shield the darkslide between bag and camera back. Keeping the camera dry (ish) is pretty easy with focusing cloths and perhaps (if you are lucky) the AW cover off a back pack type bag. My main problem is water spots on the lens/filter front. In cold weather they are a pain to wipe off, so I carry a small piece of cotton T-shirt that smears it around and takes it off - and I also try to work a little bit faster! Problem with rain round these parts, it's often paired with gusty winds, so getting my stuff a bit dampish comes with the territory.

Large Format and rain

Well, this is more of an anecdote than an answer, but someone out there may appreciate it.

This past new year's day I was out at the coast photographing in very unsettled weather. Before I even saw it coming, a huge black cloud snuck up behind me and began dumping huge ammounts of freezing rain on my head. Panicked about my newish wooden 8x10, I quickly tore off my rain parka and threw it over my tripod mounted camera. Then, for the duration of the downpour, I huddled beneath my improvised "teepee", laughing all the while like a total madman. Unfortuately, I didn't fit completely under my shelter, so the icy rain ran down my neck and soaked my back, but somehow I still found it to be a glorious experience.

Anyway, the camera remained almost completely dry.

Large Format and rain

Some cameras are more rain sensitive than others. The Walkers, for instance, being made entirely of abs plastic and stainless steel, with a plastic-like bellows, are renowned for being the ultimate in this regard. I can vouch for mine as being a top-quality camera, though I have never used it in inclement weather. Personally I don't shoot in the rain, or heavy wind, for that matter. I have a hard enough time producing keepers in the best of conditions!

Large Format and rain

There are golfing umbrella clamps, that clamp easily onto the tripod leg. OK in light drizzle. Have used one of those sprung loaded camping dunny tents that self erect. Bit cramped but OK by the car. Keeps the kit dry as well.
    Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure... Life is either daring adventure or nothing: Helen Keller.

Large Format and rain

Ive used my Tachihara in the rain. Not a driving rain but light rain. I use my Harrison darkcloth to cover the entire camera. I also discovered that the rain cover on my Photo trekker awII really works too.

Dave Karp

Large Format and rain

Steve,

I asked a similar question a while ago, and got some good answers:

http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/434068.html

Hope this helps.