Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The photographic print, Millennials, and "Peak Stuff"

Re: The photographic print, Millennials, and "Peak Stuff"

Idea 2 is coming so fast I may live long enough to get the implant.

Bionic Brain.
    Tin Can

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Rather than storing prints in a box, I mat the better ones on 4-ply museum board and place in clear bags and "store" them in a print rack in the living room. That way I and guests can enjoy the prints without worrying about them getting dirtied from handling. This also allows me to swap-out with those framed and hanging on the walls.

Thomas

Two prior posts mentioned finances, which I think has a lot to do with millennials and possessions. Both my daughters fit that category, and neither has the money nor the home to collect art (or much else). Both live in rentals, but typically rentals with one-year leases, so they end up moving frequently, and both split the rent with housemates whose tastes may differ. And in their cases, one already has a Master's (and is using it as a social worker), and the other is finishing hers next May; both had the misfortune to graduate with their respective BAs into the "Great Recession", went back to grad school after working for 6 or more years, and realistically the economy is not that much better now. But both love art, and I'm sure would buy prints and artwork if the situation were different. The older contents herself with a number of my prints on her wall, and the younger (whose Masters is in Art Education, which is another discussion entirely, but who clearly values art) even sells her own on Etsy, so I'm sure she would buy artworks were the situation different.

If your images are only shown online then you have no way to generate income to support your hobby/business. Kind of like when a business will ask you to do a shoot for the "exposure". Print your work, find your audience and the price that makes you both comfortable. Poor people, Fixed income seniors, and millennials living in their parents basement are not your target market.

Most of us reach a point in life where quality is more important than quantity so our "stuff" begins to diminish. But the things we value will still take up space.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Rather than storing prints in a box, I mat the better ones on 4-ply museum board and place in clear bags and "store" them in a print rack in the living room. That way I and guests can enjoy the prints without worrying about them getting dirtied from handling. This also allows me to swap-out with those framed and hanging on the walls.

Thomas
    This I will do.

Great idea.
    Tin Can

I also have a box of matted and bagged prints in the house, and indeed some have been sold and/or given away to friends when they've been over.

esearing, on a related note, I believe there are avenues for income in the digital space. I believe that one day soon, large flat screen panels will be used as a way to showcase images, hung on the wall. I could foresee high-resolution images sold to be used in a rotating image display screen format. Licensing, copyrights, and digital rights management will be a serious concern of course. I do not think shooting an assignment for "exposure" is even remotely related. Regarding market, that's a tenuous thing. I had an exhibition in 2014 and showcased a large number of what I think was excellent photography, and highly relevant to the community. Record numbers of people viewed the work, according to the gallery. Out of over 40 pieces between me and my partner in the show, we sold 2 pieces. Prints were very reasonably priced (the prices would've been considered obscenely cheap in most places) and included frames and glass. There is no "market" here, even from the well-off part of town. I have almost 20 images stored from the show, equating to a net cost of over $2,000 in film, paper, and framing materials, that will likely be given away or trashed when I move later this year.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

No one has seen, nor will anyone see any of my prints online...just digital facimilies that can only approximate the experience of holding them and looking. A finished print has characteristics that cannot be fully, and in some cases not at all, represented on a computer screen. So if the print is one's final product...then yes it must be seen, and the screen will be a poor second choice. Fine for sharing the image, with a good idea of contrast and color -- but lacking the total experience one works hard to create for the viewer.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

OP...you make some good points. I'm cutting back on stuff, but I am in my 60's. Too much clutter and not enuf time. Still, if you shoot digital, prints are the next best thing to a neg.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...-photographer/

If peak everything takes hold our society will collapse. Our world is based on expanding consumption. They say robots will take most our jobs in the future. If so, then be ready for a life on the street.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...omeless-prank/

Interesting, this topic made me realize something.

None of my friends of any age who are secure in being themselves have ever referred to themselves by some generational label. Working in the ski industry as much as I do, I know and associate with gobs of 20 & 30 somethings, all very much individuals and none of them feel the need to let the world know what generation they are part of.

Try not to take that wrong, just an observation...

Just be your self and don't worry about some media hype born label, you'll figure out what does or does not belong in your life. As you know from other posts, I live in super tight quarters and may have to for awhile, a sacrifice I have to make for now in order to have the incredible access I do to a life I should never take for granted.

And prints are very important to me because for the most part, they are a finished product that can not be taken out of context by someone doing some web born mashup like a digital image on a screen can be. They are also the future of my career.....come hell or high water.

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

Resources are finite, as the world's pop keep growing something has to give.

A lot of our water we drink is recycled toilet water.

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

As more demands are made on limited resources, the picture is not a bright one.