Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Serial 22089 ?

Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Serial 22089 ?

Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Marked with a "C" Serial 22089 ?
    Identify and any idea of value. Looking to move it.
    See attachment: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5111.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	145389

Re: Can someone ID this brass Voigtlander & Sohn. Serial 22089 ?

It is a euryscope design, or as it has been dubbed here, a "pre-euryscope". Search on the forum for a thread on pre- euryscope lenses started by Steven Tribe and you'll learn all you need to know

Most of these are either approaches to series IV or series VI. Apart from size numbers being given as arabic numbers ( the later adopted convention), there are alphabetic series and Roman numeral series. The request for valuation is a mistake, I hope?

In regard to "valuation" I was feeling for whether it was worth keeping or unloading---you know, run of the mill or something a bit more unique. I have several Lerebours et Secretan lenses and several Dallmeyer Petzvals but I really wanted to find out exactly what this lens is. It came mounted, via a homemade lens board, on a 14x17 camera I acquired a few years ago. So, considering the home made lens board, I thought it likely was just an added display piece as opposed to actually covering the format. If it covers the format then maybe I'd better just keep them (camera and lens) together. That's really where I was going with my inquiry.

If it is the slower version, then it may cover the 14x17 camera it came with. These are really fine lenses. I, and many others, am very pleased with the similar early Euryskops.

As stated, an early Euryscop portrait lens. Likely made late 1875. Here is an article about this "C" lens. From

The Progress of Photography Since the Year 1879: A Review of the More Important Discoveries in Photography and Photographic Chemistry, Within the Last Four Years, with Special Consideration of Emulsion Photography, and an Additional Chapter on Photography for Amateurs. Ellerslie Wallace, Edward Livingston Wilson E. L. Wilson, 1883

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clens.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	151.1 KB 
ID:	145422

Dan

www.AntiqueCameras.net

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I am not sure this early description of the C (?) Euryskop is to be relied on! It seems to be repeating the old nonsense about being a modified Petzval rather than a well designed RR/Aplanat.

Steven - I think it is this C. I believe the writer did think it was as simple the rear element was cemented and the Petzval magically became a symmetrical layout.

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

I'll say this, I've never seen one with a letter C in that position, and I've had and seen a lot of rare Voigtlanders. So to answer your question, yes, it's uncommon and I'd shoot some photos with it and see if YOU like it. As far as will it cover, you are holding the lens, and are in the best position to tell us. What's the focal length and speed?

I did a quick unmounted "against the wall' check for focal length. I'd estimate at 16 to 17 inches at infinity
    and lens diameter at roughly 2 1/2 or a bit over. So, I guess somewhere in the f 6 or f 7 range.