Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

Re: Can one be a pro landscape photographer anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Most of the "Pros" I've met make their money from Workshops marketed to----aspiring landscape photographers!
    Made me chuckle remembering an analog to John's remark I heard from a prof many years ago getting a masters in a business field -- "When gold is struck, sell shovels."

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

OP...

Here is my take on it

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/...less-nowadays/

But as I summed up the post, give it a try don't let anyone bust your dreams.

Peter Lik seems to be doing pretty well.

If you want to support yourself solely from your photography, you'd better have a worthy portfolio of work that people are willing to drop cash for, and more importantly, a solid business plan and know EXACTLY what is going on with pretty much everything. You can have a great business plan, one that's never been better. But if you don't have a portfolio, or customers coming through the door, cash in hand, you'll soon be out of business.

I agree with Iluvmyviewcam views. It would be far better to fail than to wind up later in life lamenting, "I coulda been a professional landscape photographer." While photography is a hobby for me, I did follow Iluvmyviewcam's advice when I got out of the USMC after Vietnam. I had no degree, and was 32 years old, and married with two pre-school children. With my wife's encouragement, I went to school on the GI Bill. I had to find some part time work when the GI Bill ran out, but both my wife and I wound up with PhD degrees (in different fields). We had to be extremely frugal during those years, and it was a struggle, but it was a most memorable time in our lives. We took a risk, but we made the right decision for us.

Keith

Les

Congrats, Keith.

I'm sort of on the fence...as to being able to make a living off photographs. If you have a certain niche, this perhaps may work. Back in the 80's I could have hit the arts/crafts fairs....and this was encouraged by someone who thought Fine Art Photography (and someone I knew & respected). I looked long & hard and came to some realizations. In essence, I recognized that life as I knew it would cease to exist....and massive amounts of time I'd be traveling, setting up booths, selling photos that most people want (primarily recognizable icons). The other side of it was to travel and take photos....so I could sell. I assume there was room for deviation, but not much.

Anyway, I found the whole idea rather confining and constricting....not everyone would have similar reaction. Sooo, decided to remain a hobbyist and to continue enjoying photography. Just my pov.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I didn't mean to be negative. Perhaps I read the question wrong. I was thinking along the lines of a whole new profession, not a well-seasoned photographer trying it. No one picks up a musical instrument and becomes a touring orchestral soloist overnight, or even just a competent musician.
    Well, you could become an organ grinder with a monkey, then add an instant wet street camera. Let the monkey make the pictures. Oh, if it weren't so cold here! ...and the monkeys are unionizing ...represented by PETA. Darn.

Monkeys have been known to take good pictures...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

AA also taught at UCLA (or was it USC?). He talked a lot about commercial work in his books.

There is much to be said about keeping photography as a hobby. For one there is no pressure to create images that "sell", which can become a real aesthetic trap. You can simply do what you love without having to dance for an audience. Also as many people here can demonstrate, one can become a real expert without while doing something else for a living. Vaughn, Sandy king and Steve Sherman come to mind immediately though there are many more.

In a sense I did the same thing by making my living primarily from commercial photography. As I wasn't dependent on my art work for income, I could do what I wanted with it. It was more therapy than anything and deeply satisfying in a way that commercial photography could not be. It always sold a little but over the years has become a substantial part of my income reaching 1/2 of it this year. This is great as I head towards retirement. BUT the sales, in my mind, are very much a secondary reward compared to what else it has contributed to my life over the years.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    He eked out a living on class and team pictures .......
    it would be SWEET to have had my little league team photo shot by AA