Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: B&W Developer Advice: Branching From My Norms

Re: B&W Developer Advice: Branching From My Norms

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    Interesting, thanks! So if I use spent dev to wash, what steps do I take? dev, stop, quick rinse, fix #1, fix #2, hypo, spent dev, tap water, distilled water (with photo-flo)? <snip>
    I would do:
    Develop.
    Stop.
    Fix 1.
    Fix 2.
    Water Rinse.
    Agitate in spent developer for a minute or two.
    Wash with tap water.
    Final wash with distilled water with a tiny amount of photo flow in it.

Terminology note: "hypo" means fix. "hypoclear" means a sodium sulfite solution to help wash the fix out. Spent D76 works very well for this, and so you don't have to buy a seperate hypoclear. "hypo eliminator" means a solution of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide that can get rid of all fix. You shouldn't use this last one with film.

Note: I only use fresh rapid fix (ammonium thiosulphate) in one bath to fix film, but I don't develop a large amount of film.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks. Yes, I meant to say hypo-clear. Although it did take me a few years to learn that hypo=fixer.
    And wow, yes...it seems like hypo eliminator would ruin film!!

Quoted for those that won't see this on the last page. Thanks.
    Something strange though.
    Here is a photo from my phone, a bit crude, sorry. Both rolls developed at the same time, in the same container, thus...same temp, developer, agitation, etc. Although drastically different results. If I had seen the negatives separately I would have assumed either different film, different developing, different something. I do not think it is because one roll received different developer strength, different temps, or anything in developing. The main reason is because other rolls from that same exact trip (to Monahan Sandhills) came out in similar fashion. Upon scanning they are so incredibly grainy, they are unusable. Could the conditions at the time of taking the photos have some sort of affect? It was like 5deg F outside.

Interesting, thanks! So if I use spent dev to wash, what steps do I take? dev, stop, quick rinse, fix #1, fix #2, hypo, spent dev, tap water, distilled water (with photo-flo)?

Developed more over the weekend. All seems well. LF (6 sheets) were developed at 15mins HP5+ and are all really nice and well developed. Very pleased.

Something strange though.
    Here is a photo from my phone, a bit crude, sorry. Both rolls developed at the same time, in the same container, thus...same temp, developer, agitation, etc. Although drastically different results. If I had seen the negatives separately I would have assumed either different film, different developing, different something. I do not think it is because one roll received different developer strength, different temps, or anything in developing. The main reason is because other rolls from that same exact trip (to Monahan Sandhills) came out in similar fashion. Upon scanning they are so incredibly grainy, they are unusable. Could the conditions at the time of taking the photos have some sort of affect? It was like 5deg F outside.

The roll on the left is severely fogged. Cold temps would not cause that.

Interesting, thanks. I will actually post it in a new thread. Cause I have more questions, but will keep this thread to developing.

Lots of excellent advice on this thread. If you do want to try a different developer for comparison I'd recommend:

Rodinal/ADONAL - one shot, liquid, lasts forever, very cheap buy here
    Pyrocat-HD - staining developer, two liquid mixed, lasts forever, cheap - resulting negative can be used for both silver and platinum printing.