Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IR Goggles

IR Goggles

I picked up a really cheap kid's night vision goggle to try out and was surprised how well it worked for a darkroom scenario.

I would really like to use IR for my developing process. the only issue I have, is that there is a zoom on the goggle. I dont mind having to manually focus them, or that it has quite a small screen. Its more that I am viewing too close up, so I'm getting a pretty clear view of my fingertips when I really want to see at least my entire hands

What I really want, is a google/goggles which have 1x zoom

Do these exist (without costing a fortune?)

Re: IR Goggles

That's a good question, and I'm curious about a cheap off the shelf option that would work well for this kind of thing.

How cheap are ones you have now? Cheap enough that you can rip them apart and rebuild them?

I've been thinking about possibly doing a black box setup with something like that, based on a friend's setup in the research lab he works in when they're dealing with photosensitive materials. Not exactly the kind of thing you're probably looking for, but might be an option to consider if your workspace and flow would allow for the confinement.

Kind of like the 'glove boxes' used for dealing with bio-hazard kind of things, but the walls and gloves are all light-safe. They have a camera mounted in the top and you look through a screen mounted at a comfortable height. It was a little weird to work with at first, but I've found them easy enough to get used to for doing some basic chemistry work. (And I find there is something to be said for working in a fully lit environment.) Their boxes they have also have a few modes, IR, UV, and sonic 3D scanner, which was kind of neat.

My advice is to test for the non-IR red glow or screen illuminations light sources for which sheet film is fog susceptible. I have been using this technology for seven years in the darkroom and could not imagine going with out its assistance.

The ATN Viper is a first generation unit that is small and not extremely expensive.

I have not tried the rubberized newer model. The older smooth black anodized one with headgear is the one that I find useful in the darkroom.

A quick search on eBay shows several are available, a price of under 200 dollars would seem reasonable to me.

The deep red light is visible to human eye, but seems to not affect film.

I've tested it for safety 15 minutes with TMY-2. I believe that the spectral characteristics of this film (sharp drop-off of red sensitivity on TMY-2) is partially responsible for the surprising safety even though you can see the light. I would test with other 400 speed films or any film with extended red sensitivity. Obviously you would not use it with IR film.

I added attenuation (2 stops to make it safe to 60 minutes) over the light source, because you don't need to light up a deer on the other side of the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    The ATN Viper is a first generation unit that is small and not extremely expensive.

I have not tried the rubberized newer model. The older smooth black anodized one with headgear is the one that I find useful in the darkroom.

A quick search on eBay shows several are available, a price of under 200 dollars would seem reasonable to me.

The deep red light is visible to human eye, but seems to not affect film.

I've tested it for safety 15 minutes with TMY-2. I believe that the spectral characteristics of this film (sharp drop-off of red sensitivity on TMY-2) is partially responsible for the surprising safety even though you can see the light. I would test with other 400 speed films or any film with extended red sensitivity. Obviously you would not use it with IR film.

I added attenuation (2 stops to make it safe to 60 minutes) over the light source, because you don't need to light up a deer on the other side of the creek.
    The important fact here is that you tested the film and confirmed that it does not impact your results. My older IR monocle red glow from the IR light source when exposed to sheet film at a bit less than arms length fogged the crap out of TMY and FP4 at normal developing times. That is why I have never since powered this part of the monocle up and use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe. I have a light switch that turns on a similar IR light bank and I put a $1 Walmart diffused globe over it and that gives me a more effective light source on the other side of the sheet film. Works like a champ.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 10-Jan-2016 at 11:23. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ....use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe.....
    I do the same, using a Kodak "bullet" safelight with a small bulb and an 87C filter, set to bounce off the wall behind me. The entire room is lit in a dim glow from a distant IR lamp, and I only use the IR receiver on my Viper. I have never had a problem with ISO 400 film and tray development.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    The important fact here is that you tested the film and confirmed that it does not impact your results. My older IR monocle red glow from the IR light source when exposed to sheet film at a bit less than arms length fogged the crap out of TMY and FP4 at normal developing times. That is why I have never since powered this part of the monocle up and use an external IR light bank and bounce it off of an adjacent wall. Only IR light reflects off so it is safe. I have a light switch that turns on a similar IR light bank and I put a $1 Walmart diffused globe over it and that gives me a more effective light source on the other side of the sheet film. Works like a champ.
    Michael, what kind/size of infrared light bank do you use? More economical than the bullet safelight and 87C filter, perhaps?

Amazon has all kinds of IR light sources listed.

Drew Wiley

"Will not affect film"? Anybody try something like this for RA4 color paper yet? That's what I'm interested to find out. I wouldn't buy anything really cheap because
    it would unquestionably contain pthalate plasticizers in the vinyl components and lead to skin rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Michael, what kind/size of infrared light bank do you use? More economical than the bullet safelight and 87C filter, perhaps?
    It is a 21 or 24 mini IR LED security light bank in a circle maybe 3 or 4"". Amazon or any other number of re-sellers provides them. They plug into the standard electrical socket. Provides more than ample IR illumination for my needs with semi stand development in tubes, in trays or with my gas burst system.