View Poll Results: Are you using/planning 7x11 or whole plate format?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: 6 1/2 x 8 1/2

30 83.33%
  • Yes: 7x11

9 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7x11 and whole plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) formats

7x11 and whole plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) formats

I just acquired a whole plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) parts camera from ebay (meaning some parts are missing) and am thinking of using the remaining parts to build a 7x11 camera. This raised the question, how many LFers are using each of these formats? I know there are a few who are using each (and both can be purchased new), but I haven't seen any poll or count. Is one more popular than the other?

Inquiring minds want to know (one, anyway).

Please indicate if you are using one or the other (or both) formats or if you are thinking of moving into one or the other.

Also, if you are so inclined, let us know what it is about each format that you like, especially compared to, say, the more conventional 8x10 format.

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 8-Jan-2016 at 09:46.

Re: 7x11 and whole plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) formats

6 1/2 x 8 1/2 has been my most used large format in recent years, though I've also made some 7x11 exposures within the last few months. Checking my negative log, I see that I made my first 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 pictures in 1998 and my first 7x11 pictures in 2002.

Interesting, Oren. How have you dealt with the relative scarcity of holders and film (other than the annual Ilford special order) in these sizes?

Whole Plate is my main format along with 5x7. If you want some kodak whole plate holders and you cant find them anywhere else I may have some for you, because I am mainly using chamonix holders theese days. I think 7x11 would be to long for my taste.

I shoot a lot of wholeplate too. I have 3 good holders, I don't ever shoot that many shots. I often shoot from home, so if I did, I'd just go reload a holder.

7x11 is a nice format to pair with a more 'square' format like whole plate or 8x10. Depending on the potential composition you find, you can choose either format.

Mike Johnson at The Online Photographer has a lot of good things to say about whole plate. He also says LF is not in his genes and might still be trying to sell his WP camera.

I shoot 8x10 -- but more 5x7 these days. 7x11 seems like a lot of "non standard" bother for a similar size, but I admit there is a different feel to the less square shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Interesting, Oren. How have you dealt with the relative scarcity of holders and film (other than the annual Ilford special order) in these sizes?
    I've been very fortunate with WP holders. I started in whole plate when I stumbled across an Eastman No. 2 at a camera show and for whatever reason it caught my fancy. That camera came with a handful of holders, though it's been so long now I can't recall whether those were film or plate holders. Anyway, once I had that camera I watched eBay carefully, and over the first few years managed to accumulate a decent number of Eastman film holders, plate holders and film sheaths, and also a handful of Hoffman holders. Usually this was from lots clearly labeled as WP, but I also struck pay dirt once with a generic "bunch o' holders" lot. I sent a handful of the Eastman film holders to Alan Brubaker for overhaul - they came back cleaned and lubricated, with new phenolic darkslides, and were my main "users" for a while. Alas, WP holders seem to be harder to find on eBay these days.

For a while I had a big multi-format Rittreck View outfit, assembled through a series of kit purchases; I accumulated a bunch of Tachihara-made "yatsugiri" (WP) holders with those purchases. However, the Rittreck holders are dimensionally specific to the Tachihara-made yatsugiri back - longer and narrower than Eastman holders. More recently, when I bought a WP Chamonix second-hand, I ordered some new Chamonix holders. I got a bunch more through a second-hand purchase of a WP reducing back kit for my 8x10 Phillips Compact II.

I have only a small number of 7x11 holders, though - a set that Alan Brubaker had overhauled for a previous owner.

As for film, initially I obtained odd sheet film sizes from Photo Warehouse. In those days they used to buy rolls from Ilford and cut small quantities to order in any size. I also obtained one custom order of factory-cut Bergger 200/Fortepan 200 in WP size that was basically a disaster – my least-favorite B&W emulsion ever, and on top of that my batch had a coating defect that was reported by others as well. Finally, with their bankruptcy and reorganization in 2004-2005, Ilford stopped supplying rolls to third-party finishers like Photo Warehouse and launched their own program for special sizes. Since then I’ve obtained all of my odd-format sheet film through the annual Ilford special order period.

Dave Karp

I use WP. 7x11 is intriguing, but I decided enough is enough. 4x5, 5x7, and WP are fine with me. I like the WP size and proportions. Recently, I purchased my first photo inkjet printer. I am just puttering around getting used to working with it. I find that I like cropping some of my digital files to 6.5 x 8.5 proportion and printing that size on 8.5x11 paper.

I use WP. got a camera from Japan and had Richard Ritter make me the back to fit the Chamonix holders..simple; elegant; lightweight;
    BEST, Peter