Thread: Kozo Miyoshi: his photographs with 16x20 camera

Kozo Miyoshi: his photographs with 16x20 camera

Sometimes you do not get to hear how people are working with their large format camera in other countries.

Are you familiar with Kozo Miyoshi's 16x20 large format work from Japan? He makes incredible B&W 16x20 silver prints of his travels around the world. They were just up at Photo Gallery International in Tokyo. I had a chance to talk to him at the gallery.

If you can't see his work in person though, we are working on the upcoming interview with Mr. Miyoshi along with his photobook giveaway. The article will come in a week or so, but in the mean time three signed copies of the book that accompanies the exhibition are up for grabs.

http://eepurl.com/bLJGFH

Re: Kozo Miyoshi: his photographs with 16x20 camera

Thanks, Tsuyoshi. Not familiar with his work but I am now. Have a few questions for you in a PM.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your thoughtful questions! Yes, I will ask him these questions as we are going back and forth.

Will get back to you soon!

Weird. All the years I lived in Japan, this is the first time I've heard of him. Thanks!

The link shows a picture of a man standing at a distance from the camera. Is there somewhere we can see Miyoshi-san's photographs ?

Kozo Miyoshi - 8x10.jp

Unfortunately the reproductions on his site are not so good for the most part. But do follow the link from the home page to his post-tsunami pictures. A selection from that body of work was included in the "In the Wake" exhibition at the Boston MFA last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
    Hi Carl,

Thanks for your thoughtful questions! Yes, I will ask him these questions as we are going back and forth.

Will get back to you soon!

Thanks, Tsuyoshi (and Oren, too, on the 'In the Wake' exhibition; there's also a catalog). Yes, the reproductions on his home page are too small but I did manage to find a few short reviews/interviews with slightly larger images. Ordered a couple of his books ('1972', 'Far East and Southwest') to see more.

The link to the tsunami disaster photographs on his site is easy to miss due to text size and layout (or at least I didn't notice it until just now): http://www.8x10.jp/NEEQD.html. In contrast to the other series reproduced on his site these scans are sufficiently large.

Ken, Amherst College has a copy of this portfolio in their Archives and Special Collections, 'North east earthquake disaster tsunami 2011': AC Archives & Special Collections xx HV600 2011.T64 M58 2011

The portfolio contains a mix of 16x20 contact prints and 8x10 enlargements. Tragic subject matter but I'd be very keen to see the prints.