Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: It's the experience, not the resolution

It's the experience, not the resolution

I had a feeling that's what you were saying, but was a bit confused - a bit like this thread!

That's because I did too much manipulating and not enough articulating.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Has anybody tried artipulating?

Has anybody tried artipulating?

Yeah....wound up with a nasty rash, though

"Has anybody tried artipulating?"

"Yeah....wound up with a nasty rash, though"

Yea - not a good thing to do on any bike, let alone a fixed gear one!

Dave- I always rode in 42x18 as there are a few hills around here (Portland, OR). I have checked out the bike forum - some good stuff there. I enjoy the vinatge section.

The Legnano was running, but then I had a ca. 1975 Frejus track bike as well - it was like a 57 cm and too big for me (I need a 54 cm frame). But I figured I could get more for the Frejus if it had a headset and bb, so I pulled the Campagnolo Pista headset I had gotten for the Legnano and stuck it and a Campy BB in it and sold it. That was a big mistake...

Anyway, I've been watching ebay for a pista headset for the Legnano. I still have a set of Campy wheels, a Gipiemme Pista crankest and some Cinelli bars I cut off to make cowhorns right after Francesco Moser set the hour record, so I still have most of the parts I need.

The Legnano frame is pretty standard in design, except for the trademark Legnano seat post binder bolt location - it's on the inside of the main tube trangle - where the seat and top tube come together.

OK - here's the tie in to photography, cyclists are every bit as much hardware geeks as photographers.

If the objective was to create the best sharpness, detail, ideal contrast, perfect balance of light and shadow, I wouldn't be spending my time trying to learn tintype.

Anybody can fly to the moon if they have an Apallo rocket and the support of all of NASA's high-tech goodies. Somehow that hasn't lessened the joy of flying in a light plane, gliding, etc.

I do electronics for a living, data networks and microprocessor based devices. Although it is nice to see a machine do what was intended, it is no more so than building a brick wall that is straight and even.

However, there is something inherently satisfying about a "craft", something created by one's own hands from material vastly different than the end result; it's almost a spiritual satisfaction. The more mechanized the process, the less it remains a "craft" IMHO