Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CALUMET solid state shutter tester...... HELP!

CALUMET solid state shutter tester...... HELP!

I have had the Calumet solid state shutter tester now for several years. Periodically, I take it out... put in a new battery and then try to understand the manual that comes with it. After about an hour, my level of frustration reaches the point where I just put it back into the drawer. Does anybody have simpler and readable instructions for using it. Basically, I want to test the speeds on my LF leaf shutters. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: CALUMET solid state shutter tester...... HELP!

Basically, you need to shine a bright light through the shutter.... enough light to trigger the sensor to start timing.

Can't help with that, but I do like the iOS App the German youth sells. His story is here somewhere.
    Tin Can

Use is very simple.
    1. Be sue the tester is turned off.
    2. set up a bright light in a convenient place so the shutter in question can be placed close to it.
    3. cock the shutter and place the rear of it, or the lens, on the sensor.
    4. turn the tester on by pushing the button.
    5. fire the shutter.
    6. read the number on the screen and interpret it by referring to the scale printed on the front.

I place the tester on a desk with the sensor facing up and place the shutter on top. The light source is a halogen desk lamp with the bulb about 6-10" above the tester.

hello and thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I only get a reading someimes.... I turn it on and point it at a light, and I can't get a consecutive reading ... have to turn it on and off. I have used three different fresh batteries and same behaviour with the tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan Karasek View Post
    hello and thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I only get a reading someimes.... I turn it on and point it at a light, and I can't get a consecutive reading ... have to turn it on and off. I have used three different fresh batteries and same behaviour with the tester.
    It's 50 years old, it may have internal difficulties. Corrosion, a capacitor, resistor can go bad from age. I think some sellers pass on defectives...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Here's how I use mine with leaf shutters: I set it down on a table with the lens centered and level over the sensor, then center a halogen gooseneck inspection light directly about a foot above that; it's a strong point light source. A similar halogen reading light should do OK. And I test in relation to realistic working apertures. Has been very dependable for me. There is a different technique for curtain shutters. Like other electronic equipment used only periodically, I always
    remove the battery for storage. They can corrode.

What light source are you using ?

LED light is bad, the numbers are all over the place, so is fluorescent light ( I get spotty readings ).
    Regular incandescent or daylight works best.

And if you don't have a manual, fellow forum member Ken Lee has one available -

http://www.kennethleegallery.com/htm...ter/manual.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan Karasek View Post
    It must be turned off following each reading and then back on for the next. There is no way to get "continuous" reading.

Mine gives reading after reading and runs continuously with the bright light on it. You don't have to turn it off until you're done. A tensor high intensity lamp shining straight down on the lens works great.