Thread: Roleeze Sports Caddy

Roleeze Sports Caddy

While surfing the net looking for some way to carry my ULF setup (11x14/8x20) I came across the following cart. Has anyone ever used one of these handy carts? They look very useful for what I need.

-Bruce

http://www.roleezwheels.com/view_sports_caddy.htm

Roleeze Sports Caddy

Doesn't look like something I would want to drag very far. There are carts for carrying gear and I saw them on some Natl. Geographic special once. Kinda wide though and would not work on rough trails. They work like a rickshaw. I keep thinking somebody needs to invent a backpack with a wheel sticking out of it on a shock absorbing pole. The column holding the wheel would stick out at say a 5 or ten degree angle so it would not hit your heels as you walked. It would have adjustable shock absorber for varrying loads. On really rough sections of a trail you could just lean over at the waist a bit taking the wheel off the ground.

Roleeze Sports Caddy

Scott, a very recent Backpacker magazine (no more than 1-2 issues ago) ran a picture and blurb on the inside back cover about a guy who sells a backpack that sounds almost exactly like the one you described. I wish I could provide more details (I threw the issue out) but perhaps someone else can help. Although designed as a camping pack, it might work nicely for larger format photograhy.

Roleeze Sports Caddy

Bret,

You don't say. I been thinking about this for twenty years or so. I'll never build it though. I'll start looking around. Thanks.

Roleeze Sports Caddy

Looks potentially useful (I like the big tires), but a bit pricey. Looking for something similar, a while back I settled on a folding golf cart for around $65 that holds a Tamrac rolling case, a LowePro pack, and a tripod like this.

Roleeze Sports Caddy

I used a folding golf cart for a year or so with my 8x10 C-1 and heavy tripod. Pulling it over anything but hard, rather even ground was very difficult. The cart you reference may be better because the tires are so much fatter. I wonder, too, if a golf cart is big enough for ULF? I thought my 8x10 was over stressing mine.

I've done much better with a jogging stroller I found at a thrift store for $25. Mine is a Huffy, but the company web site doesn't show them as a current item. Everything other than the baby supporting stuff (removed) and the tires is metal. Some of the others I've seen are partially plastic, so I don't know if they would be sturdy enough.

By experimenting, I've found the best way to distribute the load for balance and find the stroller easy to maneuver and much easier to use than the golf cart. I was surprised that I found pushing easier than pulling

Roleeze Sports Caddy

The price may be a tad high when compared to other carts. When pricey gear (9K) is carted around, the price sounds reasonable. I for one will pay the difference for a cart that works. The cart folds down and offers those unique wheels that will go everywhere that I need. For many months I have been looking for a solution like this. My last search was due to the restrictions in Zion Canyon. No cars in the Canyon from April til October. Shuttle bus only. I could easily pack both my 11x14 & 8x20 on this cart.

I did find a web site for a cheaper price and will be ordering today. I will be sure to do a follow up on the cart. Maybe a formal review would be in order for this site. Updates to follow.

-Bruce

Roleeze Sports Caddy

Golfcart-wise, there are better and worse models. Those with 'tires' 4-5 inches wide, and set very far apart, would be more manageable in the rough.

Roleeze Sports Caddy

My town's Lifeguard Beach services offers wheel chairs free (no rental fee) for use on the beach. The tires are the same style as the Roleeze wheels. The front wheels in fact appear to be the same size. The back wheels however are much taller. Maybe 2 feet tall.
    For those who may want to build a camera caddy, the big wheels might be just the ticket. You could change the tire pressure for the type of ground you are on.

dee