Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lf gov't job opening (UPDATE: it's been filled!)

Re: Dream Job? - better hurry

Here's another listing for the job of "Nuevo Ansel Adams":

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/08/anse...0000-per-year/

Re: Lf gov't job opening

Threads merged.

Re: Dream Job? - better hurry

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Here's another listing for the job of "Nuevo Ansel Adams":

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/08/anse...0000-per-year/
    Jeez "Ansel Adams Job Opening"-give me a break. This is getting out of hand. It's not like being anointed the new Ansel Adams. Please. I don't remember Jet Lowe or Jack Boucher who worked there for decades and did sterling work every receiving such kudos.

Having known some of the staffers there, I also know it is not nearly as romantic as people are spinning this. It's a job in a big bureaucracy with many rewarding moments and a lot of drudgery-like any job. Having done quite a few of these HABS/HAER/HALS photographic projects as a freelancer, I know many if not most of them are pretty humble. HABS/HAER/HALS staff grabs the better jobs themselves I know but still......

I used to do them because a) it was a way to give something back to the historic architecture I loved [or at least documenting such-as a lot of what I did was to record it just before it was to be torn down] or b) it was a way to get access to interesting buildings etc. that might also provide me some subject matter for personal images Jet Lowe and Jack Boucher. They were fun and rewarding.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    Looks pretty cool actually. But as far as "Large Format" is concerned, I'm not sure they are looking for a photographer but perhaps someone who can run a large format printer.

"Produces large-format photographic documentation"
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    It states later that you must be familiar with large format cameras. That's why I posted it.
    Here are the current photography guidelines:

Gotta be large format film (4x5, 5x7 or 8x10, with 5x7 preferred), but digital prints are now OK.

I suspect this is to promote the parks and nostalgia and to get more people to visit the parks. I suspect the photographer will benefit from it, but it's really just to get people talking.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I suspect the photographer will benefit from it
    Well, starting pay of $64,000 is a benefit I would gladly accept. Even if it is DC!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I suspect this is to promote the parks and nostalgia and to get more people to visit the parks. I suspect the photographer will benefit from it, but it's really just to get people talking.
    Your suspicions are unfounded. This job and the office it's part of produce documentation for the Library of Congress. The motivation of today's public to visit parks won't be increased by black and white 5x7s filed away for posterity.

I suppose the "Nuevo Ansel Adams" thing, as far fetched as it is, was inevitable. An entirely different sort of position and resulting work.

I was very fortunate to meet and talk to Jet Lowe at the 1996 Society for Industrial Archeology annual meeting. Got my copy of his book Industrial Eye signed too. Pretty cool.
    David

Not at all. They are just replacing retired personnel that have been doing this necessary documentation job largely unsung for decades. All the hype about Ansel Adams did not come from the Parks Service but by lame clueless internet sites hyping a government job listing, trying to create some traffic.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Not at all. They are just replacing retired personnel that have been doing this necessary documentation job largely unsung for decades. All the hype about Ansel Adams did not come from the Parks Service but by lame clueless internet sites hyping a government job listing, trying to create some traffic.
    Got it!

Too bad they won't give me the job... :/

I wonder if being an Eagle Scout can count as my 1 year in service, I know it counts if I joined the military... Lol!