Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: suitability of 4x5 contact prints for exhibit

suitability of 4x5 contact prints for exhibit

Are nicely matted 4x5 contact prints ever appropriate for, say, a small exhibit in a coffee shop, book store or other, informal venue? I'm thinking a selection of 15 to 20 4x5s matted on framed 8x10 or 11x14 boards. Some folks might think they're too small to appreciate, but I think it would be appealing. Should they be dry-mounted or would photo corners be best? Opinions?

Re: suitability of 4x5 contact prints for exhibit

Do it!

Don't use photo corners. Too easy to snatch.
    Tin Can

Ben- absolutely small prints are IMO on a comeback- I am doing a section of small prints specifically to tell a story in spaces where lately large prints hung.

Over the last 15 years we have been swamped with really large prints that are in most cases too big for the capture device whether film or digital. Also its
    so easy to make larger prints these days and our eyes are being abused by looking at them.

I am thinking that as we Urbanize into smaller and smaller spaces the day of the monster print is doomed , and small jewels will come back.
    Problem will be obviously that there will now be more and more shows of smaller prints that offend the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Calwell View Post
    Are nicely matted 4x5 contact prints ever appropriate for, say, a small exhibit in a coffee shop, book store or other, informal venue? I'm thinking a selection of 15 to 20 4x5s matted on framed 8x10 or 11x14 boards. Some folks might think they're too small to appreciate, but I think it would be appealing. Should they be dry-mounted or would photo corners be best? Opinions?

Are nicely matted 4x5 contact prints ever appropriate...
    You are the artist. They are appropriate if you say they are.

That said, as an occasional buyer of art, I have to say that I seldom take really small contact prints seriously. The reason being, they are difficult to see. And I find this true not just of me, but the majority of my older friends -- those retirees with the time and money to pursue art. You can't stop your eyes from aging. Just sayin'.

Bruce Watson

Bruce -- you're right. The smallness factor would be something to consider. I'm in my mid-60s and wear glasses, but I still love the look of a smaller contact print. If I ever have a showing of my 4x5 contacts, perhaps a basket of complimentary magnifying glasses by the door would be in order.

Print size needs to be matched to subject matter. 4x5 contacts work fine for many subjects, especially in a smaller space where you can get close to the prints (and where bigger prints would be inappropriate!). That said, I wouldn't present a 4x5 print of a detailed landscape; I'd use the smaller size for details, "bagatelles," things with form as the main element, etc.

An exhibit of 4x5 contacts in a small space with inviting subject matter should be very successful IM-HO.

Doremus

I think you do what you want. I hung a show of 4x5 PT/PD prints a couple years ago, which was well-received. I will hang a show in December of all 5x7 prints, matted in 11x14 mats. Personally, I like the more intimate experience of a small print. And since I have known that for a long time, I make pictures that look best as small prints. For example, I tried making some of the 5x7s as 8x10s. It would seem that that size change isn't that great, but the 8x10s pretty much fell apart - the spaces lost all their emotional tension. It was really interesting to see larger and smaller prints side-by-side.

I agree with Doremus - smaller prints will look better in a smaller space. I think. Maybe. Hmm? Never tried small prints in a big space, so I clearly don't know what I'm talking about. Well, you have the space you have, and I'll betcha they'll look great.

One man's opinion, to be sure.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Ben- absolutely small prints are IMO on a comeback.
    This is absolutely true. I am not a contact printer so I am not trying to justify my own MO. I agree with Bob because of the experience of my friend Jan Pietrzak in the current Santa Fe gallery scene and he contact prints images from 4x10" down to 6x7.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Some folks might think they're too small to appreciate
    They are easy to make. I'd make one and see for yourself. You are the artist you should determine how the art is presented.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    They are easy to make...
    At a gross level, perhaps, but not if any dodging/burning is required. Then they're even more challenging than larger contact prints.