Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Extreme Stretching of Bellows Effect Sharpness?

Re: Will Extreme Stretching of Bellows Effect Sharpness?

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbang View Post
    Wow thank you everyone for your advice it's been very helpful. I have taken apart the camera and had a good look at everything, there is slight movement in the bellows if the camera is pointed down, something I haven't noticed before. I think investment in another standard and another bellows will be helpful as when they are maxed out focusing is almost impossible.

Another lens is also a possibility, at the moment I am using a schneider 150mm any advice as to what would be a good replacement lens in this situation
    maybe a dedicated Macro?

Thank you
    Jon
    You would get much better results and eliminate your problem with a true macro lens like the 120mm Apo Macro Sironar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You would get much better results and eliminate your problem with a true macro lens like the 120mm Apo Macro Sironar.
    What Bob said !

Given the size of the prints on your web site and the corresponding effort and expense, using a non-macro lens for this purpose is inconsistent at best. I've used that lens and it's truly superb.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbang View Post
    I think investment in another standard and another bellows will be helpful as when they are maxed out focusing is almost impossible.

Another lens is also a possibility, at the moment I am using a schneider 150mm any advice as to what would be a good replacement lens in this situation
    maybe a dedicated Macro?
    Hmm. It seems that you're focusing by moving a standard, most probably the rear. This changes the magnification. Real people select magnification by setting and locking extension, then focus by moving the camera/lens assembly or the subject. Consider doing that.

With a 150 mm lens and 1000 mm of extension you're shooting at around 5.67:1. You'd do well to use a shorter macro lens. 55/2.8 AI/AIS Macro Nikkors are abundant, inexpensive and will easily cover 4x5 at that magnification. Reverse the lens, hang it in front of a #1. SKGrimes will make an adapter to do this (M52x0.75 at the lens end, M40x0.75 at the shutter end) for not much money.

You don't seem to know much about photomacrography. Lester Lefkowitz' book The Manual of Closeup Photography is a good introduction. Used copies are available for little money from vendors who sell through, in alphabetical order, abebooks.com, alibris.com, amazon.com, ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    ...Real people select magnification by...
    Do you think the OP's a bot rather than a "real person?"

Way to welcome a new member.

Well, Sal, the OP sets up a camera like a bot.

Amend "real people" to read "people skilled in the art."

Cheers,

Dan

you got me I am not a real person but an AI created by Google and sent out into the world to test my humanity. On the side even though I knew nothing about it I thought I would try some photomacrography. Turns out I am pretty good at it, although that Lester Lefkowitz book looks good and I have ordered it.

Unfortunately I won't be able to read it as I have failed the humanity test and Google is wiping my humanity drive.
    Rumbled by Dan Fromm......................

bakerbang, its wonderful that you think you're good at photomacrography. Shortly after my first excursion into photomacrography I formed much the same impression of my work. Boy, was I mistaken. I hope you started better than I did.

Errare humanum est.

You might well find that reversing the lens will help, the length of the bellows extension has no relevance to sharpness. if you are using flash then use the open shutter technique ,that should sort out any movement issues and also get around the problem of firing the lens when its reversed

Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    You might well find that reversing the lens will help, the length of the bellows extension has no relevance to sharpness. if you are using flash then use the open shutter technique ,that should sort out any movement issues and also get around the problem of firing the lens when its reversed
    If the bellows isn't extended enough, or if it is extended too far, then you will be out of focus so bellows extension is very relevant to sharpness.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

One thing for certain: Extreme stretching of the bellows will lead to pin holes/tears in the corners.

Thomas