Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Legs for a Camera Bag?

Re: Legs for a Camera Bag?

At a local sportings good shop they have tripod type folding seats for $4.95. Super sale for hunting season's ending.

Not that this is what you were looking for, but it is cool. It would be tough on floors. Come to think of it, I have an old iron tractor seat out back...

If you have modest machining skills, it wouldn't be hard to make legs based on a cam. Think of two half circles made of tubing attached at the ends of the Pelican case with hinges. To use, open and lock the tubes, then roll the case up so it's supported on the tubes. If you can't visualize this, I'll draw it out when I get to my main computer.

I am sure that there are many ways to do this. Your way sounds interesting. I have been looking for cheap Walmart quality tripods at Goodwill to cannibalize for legs. Home Depot has every sort of PVC tubing and fittings too.

I am just looking for options and suggestions right now. A soft bag would be a good place for a DIY. The Pelican hard csases are a natural for a serious design and MFG product. someone in UK makes shoulder straps that clip onto the Pelican 1510 case to turn it into a backpack. A set of legs seems a natural add-on.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The big problem with some softish-sided top load bags is that if they are hung on a post, tripod, etc is that they are being pulled up on the sides and the internals are being a little compressed, so harder to pull out the needed gear, unless the bag is sitting on the ground...

I carry a kneeling foam pad in my kit, to put my bag on over the ground, or kneel on it when needed, and found a yoga mat recently to use as a damp ground cover... (But I'm having trouble getting the incense smell out of it...)

It sounds like the best of both worlds for you would be one of those baby jogger strollers, as your bag or case would be at a reasonable height, and it would be a breeze to push it around, (with rig + tripod) too... (Don't let anyone try to kiss the ugly baby inside!!!!) I found one in a dumpster a while ago, and I'm trying to figure out how to rig it for EZ use... There are other style large wheel carts that are raised, too...

Steve K

I think a patent is in order
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legs.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	142462

Second the jogging baby stroller. I've used one for about 10-years. I found mine used at a baby consignment shop. They keep the bag off the ground, too.
    juan

This helps with the bending over issue (I work right out of the Photobackpacker bag while it's still in the buggy) but only works on a groomed trails, but if I need to leave the trail I bring a bike lock and lock it to a tree and off I go with the PBP.

Name:	IMG_5676.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	142470
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    I think a patent is in order

Name:	Legs.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	142462
    This is the type of ideas I had hoped to find. I've got a few ideas myself but can't do that kind of rendering.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

An idea worth considering: One and a half pounds and $109.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com