Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Art Institute, Alfred Stieglitz and the 19th Century

Re: Chicago Art Institute, Alfred Stieglitz and the 19th Century

The Art Institute has valet parking at the entrance to the Modern Wing on Monroe Street.

If you decide to come Jac please let me know.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Too bad that place is for the rich only.
    Add to that some of the "best in its class" public transit Chicago has to offer and you have a winner all around (though its true, with some finagling you can find a meter spot in the general area, or pay out the nose for a lot spot.
    I think they have one free afternoon for chicago residents, though they still haggle with each and every person about the "suggested donation", and make a real crossed face when you say zero.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I would seriously consider attending, but I would like to know how close to the exhibit I can park my car, and sleep in it. I am mobility disadvantaged.
    Probably Wisconsin...When I left Illinois 30 years ago just about everything fun that you could do in a car was illegal.

I was asked to describe my parking suggestion in a PM. I may as well post it here also.

The area immediately North of the Art Institute under the entire Millennium Park is parking lot. You enter from S Columbus drive just north of Monroe from either side into a down ramp and the trick is keep your bearing and head for the south east corner of the garage, lowest level, which can just take a standard E150 Ford Van at the tallest. There is an elevator there that will bring you up at Columbus and Monroe at the closest access to the handicapped entrance into the Modern Wing. Directly inside are free wheelchairs. The Stieglitz exhibit is on the lower level of the old main building, there are elevators everywhere, some hidden.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8809185,-87.6215783,17z

I find it is best to come from Lake Shore Drive to Monroe and avoid cross town traffic through the Loop from the west. I generally came from the west on Grand or Chicago and then straight south on S Columbus to Artic, when I used to drive a Ford Van.

Now I take the Blue Line subway train during off hours and get off at Monroe. It's a short walk for me, both from my home and once downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8944088,-87.6307085,15z

I believe the museum offers valet parking at the Modern Wing entrance. The museum is big, you will need a full day. Try Remington's on Michigan ave for a very good $16 hamburger. I recently had one. The steaks are beyond my budget and appetite. Don't eat at the museum, especially the hamburger...

http://centralcamera.com/ is nearby and worth a look.

As I am member, if you come when I can meet you, I can get one person in for free.

I love the place, a very fine museum. I have seen EU museums, which are also amazing, but ARTIC and Chicago bows to no one.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Except that the Art Institute does not allow photography to take place in photography galleries. You can photograph just about anywhere else in the building, but photographing photographs is verboten.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I have asked why and was told that it was the rule. BTW, there are no signs, just humans saying that photos are not allowed. It's the same at The Museum of Contemporary Photography down the street. I got in trouble there by photographing at an opening for a Lee Friedlander exhibit. Mr Friedlander was there with a camera around his neck and no one yelled at him...
    Photography was permitted at the Stieglitz exhibit and at the photography exhibit on the main floor, including the photographs themselves. I asked, so maybe it's not a hard and fast rule. I was one of only a couple people taking pics at the Stieglitz exhibit, but many people were taking photos on the main floor in plain view of the employees.

I also went to the Museum of Contemporary Art over Christmas; photography was allowed in all but the main Pop Art exhibit room. Here, signs were posted, and the employees confirmed it.

Hmm, maybe I should take this personally! They don't like me perhaps? Or maybe they've all been inundated with people carrying cellphones putting their live on social media and they've given up? The rules seem to have changed...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Several museums including art museum are free in Chicago for Bank of America customers on first full weekend each month.

How long is the show going to be up? This summer I will be in Chicago again teaching at SAIC and would love to see it, but I can't justify a special trip.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Through March 27, 2016.
    Can we attend your lectures in Chicago this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    How long is the show going to be up? This summer I will be in Chicago again teaching at SAIC and would love to see it, but I can't justify a special trip.

Crap. I'm sorry to miss that.

I'm flattered by your interest in my class. Thank you. Sorry but no for a couple of reasons. First-you couldn't get through the security in the building. Two-the class is always very full-simply no room and it becomes an insult to the people who are paying 3K (I think) to take the class.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"