Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: reality

Re: reality

Amateur Photographer - one who has to have a part time job to support his / her hobby.
    Professional Photographer - one who's spouse has to have a part time job to support his / her hobby.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Old School Wayne

Still looking for that spouse...

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Amateur Photographer - one who has to have a part time job to support his / her hobby.
    Professional Photographer - one who's spouse has to have a part time job to support his / her hobby.
    Amateur Photographer - one who has a full time job to support his / her hobby.
    Professional Photographer - one who's spouse works a full time job to support his / her hobby.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Why ruin a great hobby by turning it into work?

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

+ 1
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Full time printmaker using digital and film process... Hoping to transition to working on project based work only for clients, and introduce my solarization's to collectors.

I also am considering building an artist (photo) facility to work in many process and do their own projects from film process or digital capture to framed-crated shows.

I shoot for fun. I give myself assignments and see what I can make of them. It keeps my gray matter busy and, shooting with an 8x10, provides a bit of physical activity in the fresh air.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Why ruin a great hobby by turning it into work?
    There is some wisdom in this. I have been fortunate to make a living doing photography largely exactly the way I wanted to. If I had to do weddings I would have gotten out of it a long time ago. When I find myself taking jobs just for the money, as I had to a bit during the recession, it becomes a lot less rewarding.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

For me its been a mixed bag. Fulfilling passions doing documentary work in Ethiopia, many teaching gigs, and personal (mostly LF work) - with some good years selling both privately and through galleries. A number of college level teaching gigs (ironically at the expense of personal work), some of which paid well and others which did not. But also a span of time combining the above with annual reports, editorial, lots of location work... lugging lights, hiring models, etc. And yes...weddings - up to 30 per year back in the day - but these paid very well, and helped to finance the aforementioned personal work. So very much a balancing act. A few tangents along the way (being dean of a small private college, my "Layton Camera" fiasco, etc.) But now, at 61 years, I can finally delve almost entirely into personal work...which is starting, once again, to attract some notice and sales. Regardless of whatever the (financial) return...how thankful I feel that at my age I still have something to feel this passionate about - that can still stir me awake in the predawn hours and have me pull on my hiking boots, shoulder my gear, and head out into a world still full of wonderful surprises!

I retired 13 years ago but prior to that made a living for my family of 5 for 40 years all without digital cameras etc.After that only shot vacation and family pictures with digital cameras and made inkjet prints.Had withdrawn from the creative parts of photography until a few years ago discovering alternative photography forums on the internet and now am back full blast.Enjoying making in camera paper negatives,attempting carbon printing,even building and using an 11X14 camera.Actually more fun than making a living
    (not having to hurry and make enough money to cover bills etc.).
    Have to agree with John still surprises waiting every day.