Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: reality

Re: reality

I do photography as a life that is also a full time income, mostly commercial and editorial but with steadily increasing sales in fine art. About 2/3rds is digital and the rest film. I'll retire when I am physically unable to function.

Why live life to the fullest, be celebrated for your talent, paid very well, travel to great places, win awards, etc when you can just do it as a hobby?

"Love what you do and you will never work a day in your life"....
    Last edited by Kodachrome25; 16-Nov-2015 at 10:05.

I once considered pursuing photography as a career. Assignments included architectural photography, product photography for high end magazines, aerial photography and other varied work.

Working professionally was very rewarding from a financial standpoint. Clients appreciated my work and became regulars. However, time spent meeting others' demands was not very satisfying and proved far less rewarding to my soul. My personal photography, on the other hand, provided far greater satisfaction. I felt I needed to make a choice.

Long ago, I decided I would always be my best and only "client" ( - as far as photography was concerned). Accordingly, my primary income is derived from another business endeavor - which, for me, was the right choice.

I admire photographers who are successful in both commercial and personal photography interests.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

A number of years ago, during a twenty year run teaching photography workshops at Dartmouth, I had a very bright student who was also in his forth year at the medical school there. He fell in love with photography...which led him to work out a very remarkable strategy...that he seek a dermatology residency in Chicago while also enrolling in the MFA in photography program at the university there. While I cannot imagine how he found the time to do both...he ended up with a career in reconstructive surgery...which is both very lucrative while, in this case, completely elective (cosmetic) - meaning that my now former student can schedule surgical procedures around his personal photography, giving priority to the latter while being well supported by the former. And while his personal work is just that...it has also gained a good amount of traction in the gallery circuit. Very smart indeed!

John - you have pretty much described 40% of my client base, different professions but same idea, school to learn, professional work to live and eat, and personal work for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    A number of years ago, during a twenty year run teaching photography workshops at Dartmouth, I had a very bright student who was also in his forth year at the medical school there. He fell in love with photography...which led him to work out a very remarkable strategy...that he seek a dermatology residency in Chicago while also enrolling in the MFA in photography program at the university there. While I cannot imagine how he found the time to do both...he ended up with a career in reconstructive surgery...which is both very lucrative while, in this case, completely elective (cosmetic) - meaning that my now former student can schedule surgical procedures around his personal photography, giving priority to the latter while being well supported by the former. And while his personal work is just that...it has also gained a good amount of traction in the gallery circuit. Very smart indeed!

Great reply's .thanks for responding,,this thread shows the dedication of the users of this forum (as apposed to the other forums)most here are all in.to answer my own question im a commercial photographer by trade ,me wife is a commercial photographer and writer.we've had our own studio now(not our house and across town ) for 22 years.we are mostly magazine shooters for the alcohol industry, (jim bean ,hornitios ,makers mark and such) also do other clients local and abroad...yup yup that's all digital work...my love tho is large format photography and darkroom work ware we have been able to do art fests and gallery shows... the response on this thread is impressive and the users work of this forum is impressive as well,thanks for sharing.
    S

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Why ruin a great hobby by turning it into work?
    While all commercial assignments aren't fun, and generally come with very fuzzy goals, I know that this work has made me a better photographer. It pushes me outside my comfort zone, and challenges me by trying to shoot someone else's (fuzzy) vision while also keeping mine. While difficult and challenging, professional work still doesn't feel like "work", and is very rewarding when the client reacts positively to the images that are submitted. I know my personal work is much stronger because of the professional work.

I do it for living...much too late to wait until I'm dying.

But photography is a great percentage of my life. It is quite exciting...retired in Sept, I am working on the house I moved into in July. Just me, so my home will also be centered on photography. So a pension with reasonable health benefits, social security in a year, the boys' college funds secure. I think the only way I could mess the whole thing up is by getting married or dying.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I've worked professionally as a photojournalist, commercial photographer, studio manager, digital imaging technician in a historical society library, and now as a facilities manager, occasional teacher and jack-of-all trades in a nonprofit photography gallery/educational/rental facility that has a lot of community outreach and involvement. I've made good money when employed by others to make pictures or help run the business, but I've never made a dime on personal/fine art work. I'll keep trying - I've accumulated a pile of decent images.