Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

Re: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    And that still doesn't account for Schneider listing it as a lens that covered 9x12cm and not 4x5". If one wants a high quality 90 on a budget there are other options available all the time these days. One that many overlook is the 90mm Gerogon-WA which was specifically made for students on a budget.
    Schneider listed all their lenses as covering 9x12 rather than 5x4 at one time, they are a German company after all, and that's the equivalent Continental European format of the era the lenses were made. Look at the data for Xenars etc.

You won't see any mention of 5x4, 10x8 etc in 1960's Schneider literature, I have a 1970 Schneider Professional Lenses Review leaflet(in English) in front of me and all sizes for coverage are metric. So don't read too much into the 90mm angulon being listed as 9x12, the difference between the formats is quite small, almost exactly the same lengngth, 5x4 is a touch wider.

Kerry Thalman and Chris Peres tested quite a few LF lenses some years ago, they tested quite a few 90mm f6.8 Angulons because of the quality issue, the best were excellent the poor once dire. There's plenty of photographers getting excellent results from their Angulons.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    Schneider listed all their lenses as covering 9x12 rather than 5x4 at one time, they are a German company after all, and that's the equivalent Continental European format of the era the lenses were made. Look at the data for Xenars etc.

You won't see any mention of 5x4, 10x8 etc in 1960's Schneider literature, I have a 1970 Schneider Professional Lenses Review leaflet(in English) in front of me and all sizes for coverage are metric. So don't read too much into the 90mm angulon being listed as 9x12, the difference between the formats is quite small, almost exactly the same lengngth, 5x4 is a touch wider.

Kerry Thalman and Chris Peres tested quite a few LF lenses some years ago, they tested quite a few 90mm f6.8 Angulons because of the quality issue, the best were excellent the poor once dire. There's plenty of photographers getting excellent results from their Angulons.

Ian
    What is the listed image circle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    What is the listed image circle?
    154 mm at f/16.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/info.../6,8-90mm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    So it is not good for a camera using movements or for anyone looking for the best results edge to edge and corner to corner.

Bob, we all know and appreciate that you're giving good advice but in the OP, Randy states he wants to shoot hand-held, so coverage beyond straight-on isn't a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Bob, we all know and appreciate that you're giving good advice but in the OP, Randy states he wants to shoot hand-held, so coverage beyond straight-on isn't a factor.
    That is today's need. However there are 3 problems with that.
    1: it is not exactly a state of the art lens today and much better quality is easily and reasonably available.
    2: assuming his needs might become greater as he gets into 45 the lens really will not perform with more advanced cameras with movements.
    3: I would doubt that an underperforming, old lens like this will appreciate in value over time when he decides to get rid of it. He might not even get his full investment back.

Bob, the OP is very specific. He wants cheap and straight-on coverage. He mentions nothing of changing needs in the future nor anything about overall quality... he even mentions trying an enlarging lens. Obviously, he just wants to make 4x5 images with a cheap 90mm lens. The old Angulon will easily do that and (if he's lucky) he'll find a very good one.

If we want to speak of all possible future needs and the very best quality then we might as well suggest a 90mm SAXL which is extremely pricey and won't even fit his camera. So then we'd have to suggest he replace his camera too.

What I am going for is a "poor mans" TravelWide - and I say "poor mans" because I am a poor man and I already have the Speed Graphic, so I don't have to purchase a camera, just a lens. So, let me pick the brains a bit more - since the Super Angulons are fairly plentiful, and are a more modern lens, and probably would not add noticeably more weight to the Speed graphic (over the Angulon) - how do the two technologies compare at wide apertures...since I would like to be able to shoot hand held I would need to have the option for shooting at wide open (or close to it) from time to time.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    What I am going for is a "poor mans" TravelWide - and I say "poor mans" because I am a poor man and I already have the Speed Graphic, so I don't have to purchase a camera, just a lens. So, let me pick the brains a bit more - since the Super Angulons are fairly plentiful, and are a more modern lens, and probably would not add noticeably more weight to the Speed graphic (over the Angulon) - how do the two technologies compare at wide apertures...since I would like to be able to shoot hand held I would need to have the option for shooting at wide open (or close to it) from time to time.
    The 90mm Angulon barely covers 45 stopped down. It will not cover at larger apertures. A modern Grandagon or SA will be much better at larger apertures.

Yes, wide open the 90mm Angulon will be mushy in the corners but a SA won't be that great either... but better. Keep in mind though, the 6.8 Angulon is a half stop faster than an f/8 SA and the f/5.6 SA is more expensive and much larger/heavier than the f/8 version.