Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

I was wondering if there exists a 90mm WA lens in barrel. I want to shoot hand held with my pre anniversary Speed Graphic (zone focus) and am trying to go as inexpensive as possible, so rather than spend for a lens in shutter, if a barrel lens is out there...

If there is no such creature, did anyone make a 90mm WA enlarging lens that might cover 4X5?

Advice?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

Yes, all 90 mm lenses in Sinar DB mount are in barrel. No, a 90mm enlarging lens would not cover 45. Neither would an 80mm WA. A 120mm Wa enlarging lens covers 45.

One of the f/6.8 90mm WA lenses with an inoperative shutter for press cameras might be cheaper than a shutterless lens in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    One of the f/6.8 90mm WA lenses with an inoperative shutter for press cameras might be cheaper than a shutterless lens in good condition.
    It's looking like even one with a working shutter is less than the Sinar mounts - thanks.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

A 90mm f6.8 Angulon is cheap and a better bet than an an older WA lens in a barrel, I use mine hand-held with a Crown or Super Graphic.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    A 90mm f6.8 Angulon is cheap and a better bet than an an older WA lens in a barrel, I use mine hand-held with a Crown or Super Graphic.

Ian
    Cheaper, yes, but most don't cover 45 fully. They would not be as good a performer as a modern 90mm. But if you are happy with one then enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Cheaper, yes, but most don't cover 45 fully. They would not be as good a performer as a modern 90mm. But if you are happy with one then enjoy.
    The late Dean Jones (Razzledog) found that the issue with early post WWII 90mm f6.8 Angulons was poor lens spacing which was a result of poor tolerances with the Compur shutters uses, this affected some early 90mm Angulons in the Synchro Compur shutters. Dean machined some shutters to the correct the spacing (which was to long) to the Compur specification and found that greatly improved the performance of poorer performing Angulons. If the spacing's is too far apart coverage suffers.

The OP wants a budget WA lens, his camera has no movements except front rise so and good 90mm f6.8 Angulon fits that requirement and so would a similar WA Raptar..

Bob, I think you'd be rather surprised just how good these 90mm f6.8 Angulons can be, I use one with my cameras, Crown & Super Graphics, in Turkey/Greece hand-held and with a tripod and people can't tell the difference when images are compared to those made with my 90mm f6.8 Grandagon or 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon. Sure the latter two lenses have far more coverage than the Angulon but my 90mm Angulon covers 5x4 with no vignetting or corner softness and that's all that matter.

Randy, while your camera has a Focal plane shutter you'll probably get sharper images using a lens in a leaf shutter hand held. It's also quite easy to focus on the GG screen when working hand-held, then use the wire finder for final composition.

Ian

The late Dean Jones (Razzledog) found that the issue with early post WWII 90mm f6.8 Angulons was poor lens spacing which was a result of poor tolerances with the Compur shutters uses, this affected some early 90mm Angulons in the Synchro Compur shutters. Dean machined some shutters to the correct the spacing (which was to long) to the Compur specification and found that greatly improved the performance of poorer performing Angulons. If the spacing's is too far apart coverage suffers.

The OP wants a budget WA lens, his camera has no movements except front rise so and good 90mm f6.8 Angulon fits that requirement and so would a similar WA Raptar..

Bob, I think you'd be rather surprised just how good these 90mm f6.8 Angulons can be, I use one with my cameras, Crown & Super Graphics, in Turkey/Greece hand-held and with a tripod and people can't tell the difference when images are compared to those made with my 90mm f6.8 Grandagon or 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon. Sure the latter two lenses have far more coverage than the Angulon but my 90mm Angulon covers 5x4 with no vignetting or corner softness and that's all that matter.

Randy, while your camera has a Focal plane shutter you'll probably get sharper images using a lens in a leaf shutter hand held. It's also quite easy to focus on the GG screen when working hand-held, then use the wire finder for final composition.

Ian
    Ian,
    I was using the 90mm Angulon in the 60s and the difference in performance when I got the SA was dramatic. Even though that SA was in a 00 shutter. To each their own. I was shooting for clients and competing against a fair number of studios that also did commercial work. Those clients saw the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Ian,
    I was using the 90mm Angulon in the 60s and the difference in performance when I got the SA was dramatic. Even though that SA was in a 00 shutter. To each their own. I was shooting for clients and competing against a fair number of studios that also did commercial work. Those clients saw the differences.
    You obviously had one of the few poor ones then, so your comments aren't particularly valid or remotely helpful to anyone. Have you read what camera the OP is wanting a WA lens to shooting with?

There's no arguing that the Super Angulons and Grandagons etc aren't better when it comes to needing to use movements etc but these older Angulons are very capable lenses used carefully. I had an older 90mm f6.8 Angulaon in the 1980's and it was poor, I borrowed another which wasn't a lot better, however the one I have now is excellent. Schneider must have realised there was an issue with the shutter spacing by around 1963 as the Angulons with SN's above 8,000,000 are all OK.

Ian

You obviously had one of the few poor ones then, so your comments aren't particularly valid or remotely helpful to anyone. Have you read what camera the OP is wanting a WA lens to shooting with?

There's no arguing that the Super Angulons and Grandagons etc aren't better when it comes to needing to use movements etc but these older Angulons are very capable lenses used carefully. I had an older 90mm f6.8 Angulaon in the 1980's and it was poor, I borrowed another which wasn't a lot better, however the one I have now is excellent. Schneider must have realised there was an issue with the shutter spacing by around 1963 as the Angulons with SN's above 8,000,000 are all OK.

Ian
    And that still doesn't account for Schneider listing it as a lens that covered 9x12cm and not 4x5". If one wants a high quality 90 on a budget there are other options available all the time these days. One that many overlook is the 90mm Gerogon-WA which was specifically made for students on a budget.