Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust 4X5 Travelwide

Re: Wanderlust 4X5 Travelwide

Quote Originally Posted by daimocow View Post
    My lens is also branded by Linhoff (serial number 7806935).
    When they are branded "Linhoff", they are probably some fake rip-off lenses...

Nice images, daimocow!

Cheers
    Andrew
    To infinity - and beyond...

Quote Originally Posted by Valdecus View Post
    When they are branded "Linhoff", they are probably some fake rip-off lenses...

Nice images, daimocow!

Cheers
    Andrew
    Sorry for the typo, I got what you mean now Thanks for the words!
    Last edited by daimocow; 14-Mar-2016 at 19:48.

Maybe irony? The name of the famous camera maker is Linhof not Linhoff. Linhof branded lenses were hand selected and are top notch.

Peter
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    Maybe irony? The name of the famous camera maker is Linhof not Linhoff. Linhof branded lenses were hand selected and are top notch.

Peter
    Sorry for the confusion, it's just my typo

Here's a photo from this weekend. Taken @ Lake Lanier in north GA with my Travelwide and 90mm F/6.8 Angulon, Kodak Portra 160VC. I've been kinda neglecting the TW because I was frustrated with the viewfinder. I just couldn't seem to get along with anything I tried. So finally I just stuck my Linhof finder on it (later model). It works really well, though it's top heavy, and the finder cost more than the camera and lens combined...

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post

Peter
    Thanks Peter,

You are right about the Linhof quality. It's all about the quality control and selection process. The lenses were taken off the Schneider production line in the final stages and a higher quality control level was applied so the best lenses were selected for the Linhof branding. I do also have a super angulon that I use on my Wista but it's heavy and bulky and not in the TW style. I've been watching a nice Rodenstock 90mm on ebay but at $300 I can't justify it.

Happy trails,
    SteveP

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Here's a photo from this weekend. Taken @ Lake Lanier in north GA with my Travelwide and 90mm F/6.8 Angulon, Kodak Portra 160VC. I've been kinda neglecting the TW because I was frustrated with the viewfinder. I just couldn't seem to get along with anything I tried. So finally I just stuck my Linhof finder on it (later model). It works really well, though it's top heavy, and the finder cost more than the camera and lens combined...

Corran

Nice shot; was it on a tripod or handheld? I've already posted how I cut out the TW focusing screen and put an acrylic GG in the cutout. It was a bit of a pain but works great. Others have taken a film holder and had it modified with a GG at a camera repair shop. See the "Using & Modifying the TW" thread for more info. For TW handheld shooting I found on Ebay a plastic molded viewer that fits into TW coldshoes. They are made by a guy in Israel and aren't the greatest but they work well and are small and light, and less than $25.

Happy trails,
    SteveP

Hi Steve, yes it was handheld. I think f/16 @ 1/50th if I remember right. I am waiting for the supposed improved GG from them but don't really need it. Is the eBay viewfinder you have a 4:5 ratio? I have seen those from the guy in Israel but I thought they were all 3:2, and I also read that they were of low quality, but I haven't actually looked through one. The Linhof finder is so perfect though and has correction for focus distance - but just heavy.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Regarding TW OE PP (pebbled plastic) vs GG (ground glass)

I recently made a new TW GG from glass with exact registration that fits like a film holder, very similar to OE. Usable on any 4X5" camera.

I then compared, using USAF Target, my chosen focus set points of 3, 5 and 30 feet using a Raptor 90mm. I was very surprised to find my Ground Glass confirmed all my set points that I found with the TW Pebbled Plastic.

I also find the TW supplied wire finder to work perfectly for me. I don't like the $20 Israel finder I bought years ago. Too hard to see anything.

I have the Israeli one. It's 3:2 and is low quality but certainly usable. I haven't actually shot with my TW yet but figure to just allow for loose framing anyway until I get a better idea of where the real image edges are in it