Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow in the Sierra expected.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Snow in the Sierra expected.

I will take my chances. Last year I could not get more than three days skiing at Lake Tahoe.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Preston Birdwell

It is becoming increasingly likely that a cold storm will affect NorCal Tuesday, 11/24, until Thanksgiving Day. Snow levels are expected to drop to 2500 ft. with heavy accumulations at pass levels. A mixture of rain and snow will likely affect the Foothills on Tuesday and Wednesday, with decreasing chances on Thursday. See Sacramento NWS for updated info.

If you are planning to head into the Sierra, be prepared for winter conditions.

Be safe out there!
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Les

Hey Preston, I was wondering if you ever received two of my messages from few days ago. Mods see no issue and I see nothing in my "send" file ???? Anyhoo, pls send me a note and I'll get back to you asap. Thanks.

Les

Drew Wiley

Oh garsh. Don't remind me I still have to clean the gutter this weekend. The trails around here are already getting mucky from the last two heavy storms, and that slight hint of green on the hills will soon be solid green. The subtle browns and greiges of the drought are about to end. That was sure a visual treat while it lasted.
    I can usually predict the Sierra storms by what passes over here the day before. Thanksgiving week will allegedly be a soaker. But shooting in the rain is fun too.
    Otherwise, it will be nice to have an excuse to spend a day in the darkroom printing!

Where I hope to spend at least part of the Winter as an instructor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Badger_-20-7-806x484.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	142626
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

That looks fun, John. Did your knee heal up OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    That looks fun, John. Did your knee heal up OK?
    Thanks Drew. It's good enough!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

We went to South Lake Tahoe. first time using tire cables since moving to CA in 1993. The Lake is beautiful and we went out to see the sunset but instead was greeted by snowfall

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151201-Scanned-1321.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	142901

Drew Wiley

Looks wonderful. But since every single "summer" vacation I've taken the last five years has involved at least sleet, freezing rain, hail, and often substantial snowfall nearly every day, think I'll head for Hawaii instead this season.

I did not head up into the mountains during the Thanksgiving holiday, but I did take advantage of 4 days of clear weather for a solo backpack trip in Redwood National Park (along Redwood Creek). Took the 4x5 and 11 holders filled with Tech Pan. It stayed clear (Wed thru Sun) and got colder and colder! Once the ground along the creek gave up its heat, it stayed frozen in most places all day (sun rarely hits the creek itself this time of year). Very little wind...nice with the slow film, and I found non-moving subjects if a slight breeze came through. Rain the day after I came out, so pretty lucky with the timing! A bit different than the 12 days on Maui I had last month!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China