So I got this lens the other day and am wondering what the experts may think it may have been.

The specs measure to be 7in f3.5

As you can see it has had surgery to remove the rack and pinion mechanism and outer collar. When I got it the Waterhouse slot had a 'permanent' installation of a cardboard stop in it, so I don't know if the slot was cut during surgery and then later stuffed up or was the stuffing done during the surgery to begin with and the slot was there originally. There's a 'patent applied for' stamp and nothing else to go by (on the glass either). Also - seems like the Waterhouse slot is adjacent to where rack and pinion used to be - indication of the slot being later cut?

Two interesting things to note:
First, and this is not uncommon I guess, the lenses are held in their little inner collars not by screw-in rings but by push-in ones and then that little collar is held in the main barrel by a screw-on retainer. That's not uncommon with manufacturers who are trying to cut costs on cutting threads and materials.
The weirder note though is that the front two elements (perfect Petzval configuration judging by the cut-away diagrams I see) are NOT cemented together, but are instead spaced apart by an ultra thin (probably 0.1mm or less) paper ring! Another attempt at cutting costs and speed up production or was that what their patent was applied for?...

Does anyone recognize what's left of the barrel? Any idea of the manufacturer, or was it another no-name?

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petzval1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	141522

Name:	Petzval2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	141524