Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a Folmer & Schwing 12X20 - Advice?

Question Shipping a Folmer & Schwing 12X20 - Advice?

Hi folks!

I need a ship a 12X20 F&S banquet camera Fedex from the east to west coast. Naturally I need to ensure that it gets there in one piece. Any packing tips you can share?

Thanks!

John

SB Mike

Re: Shipping a Folmer & Schwing 12X20 - Advice?

I have never shipped, but have hauled one to Europe and back twice as baggage. I made it like a cardboard suitcase with the handle sticking out.

Folded up, the camera is pretty solid, but the main risk is shattering the glass screen. Bubble wrap both sides of the glass and put bubble wrap on the bellows exposed in front. A cardboard box, packing it with padding of some kind (foam or bubble) should do. If you are really worried, you could make a wooden box, but likely not necessary. I assume that lenses or any shutters would be packed separate, as they are more vulnerable.

One idea - look for a video screen box of a smaller sized screen tossed out from a video store and adapt the foam packing.

If you'll be meeting it not the other side and you're not shipping it to a new owner, I'd look at a Pelican or Nanuk hard case. If it's going to a new home, I'd take a look at the feasibility of using we'll padded luggage. Lots of bubble and peanuts etc.. Would probably use low tack painters tape across the entire gg to keep it intact if things go south.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I roll a LF camera inside many layer wraps of the large bubble wrap, then box that and then put that box inside of another box tightly packed with 4" of peanuts on all sides, mark it fragile, insure it and pray as anything can be destroyed in shipping.

Do not use Styrofoam as it's too hard and transmits impact which will break contents, and the box still looks fine,

BIG box, lots and lots of bubble wrap. B&H does a real good job of packing and uses really strong bubble wrap worth saving, but you will still need softer cushioning for these delicate big cameras.

Some ship the GG and entire back in a separate box, but then you can lose 1/2 a camera...
    Tin Can

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    If you'll be meeting it not the other side and you're not shipping it to a new owner, I'd look at a Pelican or Nanuk hard case. If it's going to a new home, I'd take a look at the feasibility of using we'll padded luggage. Lots of bubble and peanuts etc.. Would probably use low tack painters tape across the entire gg to keep it intact if things go south.
    Lightware had one too. If you search my posts, you should find the one included when I sold mine.
    Chris

Polyethylene foam is the open-cell foam that 'pool noodles' are made from. It's also found frequently as the packing material inside cartons containing computer equipment. It can be purchased from online purveyors in sheets of various thickness, then cut and glued together to create your own custom cocoon for packing. Another item I find indispensable for use in packing is 'stretch film', which is sort of like "Saran" wrap on a stick. It sticks to itself, but not to the item being wrapped. It's great for securing bubble wrap around an item without having to deal with sticky residue from packing tape. That said, I do use clear packing tape on the smooth side of the ground glass, usually in a star pattern. It gives the glass a little more strength and in the worst case keeps the shards from spreading throughout the package. Double-box, if possible. But that's a big camera... I know from experience!

In any case, do not scrimp on insurance nor on the speed of service. I have a theory that for shipping things that are fragile and/or of high value, that the most expedited service you can afford will be the best simply because the item is in transit for a shorter period of time, is handled less and thus has a statistically better chance of surviving.

Not a bad idea to cut a piece of cardboard the size of a film holder, put it in the camera so if the GG does break the shards will not enter the bellows.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I roll a LF camera inside many layer wraps of the large bubble wrap, then box that and then put that box inside of another box tightly packed with 4" of peanuts on all sides, mark it fragile, insure it and pray as anything can be destroyed in shipping.

Do not use Styrofoam as it's too hard and transmits impact which will break contents, and the box still looks fine,

BIG box, lots and lots of bubble wrap. B&H does a real good job of packing and uses really strong bubble wrap worth saving, but you will still need softer cushioning for these delicate big cameras.

Some ship the GG and entire back in a separate box, but then you can lose 1/2 a camera...
    This is the method I used to ship a 7x17 from San Diego to Randy in Chicago. The resulting box was huge, but it did the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    This is the method I used to ship a 7x17 from San Diego to Randy in Chicago. The resulting box was huge, but it did the job.
    It was packed very nicely and arrived in perfect condition.

I have shipped 8x10's as far as Korea with this method.
    Tin Can

I agree with Randy... that's precisely how I would ship it. However, I'll add that you must push down on all the peanuts and add more until you can't add more then make sure there are absolutely no voids without peanuts... not even a tiny bit. This will keep all the peanuts in place which will also keep the inner box centered inside the outer box. Then pray the outer box isn't compromised so the peanuts fall out. Tracy has a good idea regarding the GG.