I know - you want to say "get an Expert tank." Ha! That won't help me right now.

I have to work with what I have: Jobo CPE2+, HP5+ film, flexible on developer choice. My CPE2+ came with reels that may be usable so I just need a reel or two.

As I get ready to proceed, I am reading about how a significant number of 2509n users experience processing marks on their black & white 4x5 film using this reel. One person modified the reel by trimming the "triangles" that hold the film in place -- to prevent what at least one person called "surge marks."

Other users report no problems. How can this be? And so I wonder -- given that people are using the same reel design, how is it that some have processing marks that make their negatives unusable, while others have evenly developed negs?

Has anyone figured why some folks have success and other failure with these reels? I look forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences! If you are using the reel and it works great, producing beautiful, evenly developed film without the marks, please share details of your method, so that some of the "mojo" can rub-off on me.

Paul