Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting back to 8x10, looking at Arca Swiss

Re: Getting back to 8x10, looking at Arca Swiss

I marvel at the incessant need for change particularly when it becomes a circular loop. I have four 8x10 cameras after my first experience with the format years ago and they will stay with me to the end because I know intuitively they are instruments of my vision. Time and time again I read of experienced photographers that divest of a format and in no time want to come back to nearly precisely where they left the party. The camera and the accessories are only pawns in the process holding the lens and the film holders in rigid orientation of the photographers choosing. It is the resulting print image that at the end of the day that rules. I sincerely hope that you figure it all out and this time just relax and enjoy the art form.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    If not an arca - KMV?
    You should just get a new one if you can find it used... $$$$
    No KMV, been there before, and I think there are much better options; thanks for the suggestion.
    A Wehman would be an interesting option for a field camera, and a lot less expensive than a new Arca kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I marvel at the incessant need for change particularly when it becomes a circular loop. I have four 8x10 cameras after my first experience with the format years ago and they will stay with me to the end because I know intuitively they are instruments of my vision. Time and time again I read of experienced photographers that divest of a format and in no time want to come back to nearly precisely where they left the party. The camera and the accessories are only pawns in the process holding the lens and the film holders in rigid orientation of the photographers choosing. It is the resulting print image that at the end of the day that rules. I sincerely hope that you figure it all out and this time just relax and enjoy the art form.
    Not so much that, Michael; keeping my Toyo became impractical after injuring my hip (I like to walk a lot with the camera).
    After selling the Toyo, it seemed like a good time to take a break from both 8x10 and the forum as well.
    I'm certainly on the mend, but I'm forced to look for a lighter camera this time around; I was beginning to wonder if carrying the Toyo on my back all those times may have exacerbated, or even led to, my hip problem.
    And the art form itself is still enjoyable, I have a Fuji GX680 system to keep me honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    No KMV, been there before, and I think there are much better options; thanks for the suggestion.
    A Wehman would be an interesting option for a field camera, and a lot less expensive than a new Arca kit.
    Definitely reconsider the Wehman--it's a real bargain for a beautifully-designed camera. I can also recommend a good therapist to get over your wood aversion. The Chamonix 8x10 is very rigid and precise--probably more so than the Wehman (which is also excellent). The Wehman has a wood back and a composite front frame and extension, and looks like the love child of a view camera and a filing cabinet--but it's a great camera. Don't expect an over-engineered metal monster. It's a gross simplification to think of the Chamonix as a wood camera and the Wehman as a metal camera--both designers intelligently used a variety of materials to suit different functions.

Well, I do have a thing for filing cabinets...
    Thanks, Barry.

Would that I could buy brand new, but that is regrettably not an option.
    How do you like your 4x5 F-metric?
    I love it! But then again, I'm an architect so I'm a sucker for precision. I would have probably been ecstatic with the M line but too rich for my blood.

I prefer the F-line. We had an M in the studio....Meh.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Well, I do have a thing for filing cabinets...
    Thanks, Barry.
    Ari, if you ever feel like a road trip then drive over to my house and I'll let you try my Wehman. I've even got a Technika board adapter so if your Cooke is on a Technika board you can try it on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I prefer the F-line. We had an M in the studio....Meh.
    Well then that's good for me then. I think the M is really meant for studio work.

Ari, I've seen quite a few arcas for sale (usually 4x5) but they mostly have the 171mm frame, which is slightly heavier.

Hi Ari

........and good to hear that you're recovering

the question is?...........how long are you willing to wait for an Arca to show up and although the older well used ones do turn up now and again on the European eBay sites, they've usually had pretty heavy use

Igor currently has five on his website...........one is a KMV but I expect you've already had a look over on there

best regards

andrew