Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: survey digital vs traditional darkroom

Re: survey digital vs traditional darkroom

Film and traditional wet darkroom for all 'serious' black ans white work...

Film (tansparencies) and digital scanning and printing for color work

For family snaps and such digital - rarely even make prints - mostly download and email.

I just finished my latest 100% traditional darkroom in a house I moved to last year. The project cost about $5000 but I reckon its worth it to get a really good work environment. After all I'm going to be spending a lot of time in there.

There are no plans to engage in any kind of electronic picture making. Even the back of my photographer's business card reads "Guaranteed no digital."
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

110% traditional Why the extra 10%? I just started (restarted?) souping and printing my own 35mm (using a really spiffy $40 ebay Valoy II) rather than sending it off to the drugstore since the drugstore prints are now digital and I just don't like the way they look.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Wet darkroom for 99% of my work. 1% digital that I use for selling on E-bay. If it weren't for e-bay, I wouldn't own a digital camera. Terrible pathetic piece of &^*@ that it is.

Sorry Ted but I belive not thad you can use your Scanner longer then 15 years then will be the pc brocken and you need a new one but the software will not run anymore on the new pc!
    So a scanner will never be for a livetime in my opinion like an enlarger which are for 2-3 generations!
    So in my case it shifted more to digital in comercial work about 90% and in my freetime it is about 50 to 50%.
    So I still have my wet darkroom and start to promote it in the near future, so maybe I can create more bussiness with it!
    Armin Seeholzer

2 years ago, 100% digital. I am back in the darkroom and am now 100% wet..EC

Amusing really. For me I envisage what kind of end product (the image) I want to produce then use the equipment and technique that will give me that end product. I couldn't care less about how I got there as long as the printed image works in the way I'd intended.

Methinks there should be a new title for people whose approach to photography seems to be all equipment and technique with the actual image as a side issue, whether it be by traditional or modern methods. Technicians maybe, photographers possibly. Artists certainly not.

If you are so passionate about how you got to the image rather than the image itself and what you are trying to convey with that image could I suggest that you've missed the point?

Most people slamming digital do so based on what they've seen from a p&s (seemingly half on this thread) or equate their results from playing with a 6 megapixel DSLR to be the final statement on digital not realising that they are not comparing like with like or understanding that just as they didn't learn film photography and darkroom in 10 minutes, so too their out of camera jpg's are not going to exactly represent digital as a medium.
    On the other hand the digital evangelicals who try to suggest that a 8/10 megapixel file is plenty for a 30X20", 'as long as you stand back far enough' are just as guilty of opening their mouths to voice opinions that they are not educated or experienced enough to substantiate.

It's just so boring...

David Schaller

I just built a traditional darkroom last year. I am thrilled to be 99% traditional, only using the digital for snapshots which I never print. I am thinking about getting a scanner, but I've been thinking about it for a long time and have not been moved to do it.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

100% traditional for all B&W, 100% digital for all colour, all formats.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by kreig View Post
    Am I the only one who can see the king has no chlothes?
    No, you are not. The emperor is indeed naked, and is not aging well.

As for the original question: Went from 100% digital capture and printing to 100% film capture and 100% traditional printing for the keepers. That is to say, I generally scan 6x9, 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 negatives just for use as proofs. The real stuff (i.e. the stuff I want to show to people and sell) is contact printed (and enlarged for 6x9 and sometimes 4x5). I never again plan to exhibit inkjet prints, unless I begin to make color prints. ( I shoot 99.9999999% black and white)

Even a 4x5 contact print has a gem like quality that I have yet to see matched by any inkjet, although I have seen (and hopefully produced) some very, very good inkjet prints.

Will likely soon be selling my Epson r2400, as well as the 4990.

For me, film still rules. Period.