Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: scanning b/w issue

scanning b/w issue

Leonard and Brian are right. Scanning, like everything else in photography, has learning curves that must be mastered. Julian is also right - auto anything in scanning is going to be less than optimal for B&W - scanners and scanner software (all that I'm aware of) seem to be optimized for chromes.

The only way to get good at scanning is to scan. Scan the same negative over and over, changing one setting at a time until you learn what the various controls mean to image quality. You didn't learn how to use a view camera in a day, and you aren't going to learn how to scan in a day either.

Bruce Watson

scanning b/w issue

Thanks guys: as I said, I did not find any threads, which promted the question.

I have been scanning for about three years, this was the first time I had run into this problem. I have sold a few b/w prints, so while not real smart, not a complete idiot, just partially dumb.

What the problem was that I was using Silverfast's scan pilot, which has limited ranges. Once I quit using the pilot and did my own adjustments, everything came into place.

I really appreciate the inputs- and IT WAS NOT THE SCANNER

scanning b/w issue

I personally prefer the straightforward interface of the Epson scanner software over Silverfast (I run a Mac). But if you are interested in trying to learn how to use Silverfast, there is a tutorial at lynda.com.

If you are not familiar with lynda.com, it is a terrific resource, an on-line library of video tutorials that one can access 24/7 for a month for only $25. The tutorials are excellent and the library covers most of the more popular graphics software out there. Before you commit to the monthly subscription, it is possible to browse sections of the library for free to get a feel for how they are put together. I've used the library for numerous applications. Give it a look.

As for setting the white and black point, the Epson interface is kind of cludgy. They have a histogram (at least on the 4870 driver), but it is not very accurate. I typically do a test scan, open the file in Photoshop and check my histogram there to make sure I got all the data. More often than not, the Epson histogram fails to show the trailing edge of data on both highlight and shadow ends of the tonal range, so it is necessary to leave room on both ends when adjusting the prescan histogram to ensure I get all the information.

scanning b/w issue

Keith, one of the things you may like to try to get round that is to scan the neg as a positive. That worked for me on an epson 1680, although for BW Vuescan always got me better files.