Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Imacon Digital Back

Imacon Digital Back

OK, I need to correct myself. The Phase One website indicates that lifetime support is provided for their products through their dealer network, and separately mentions extended warranties as an optional dealer offering. That being the case, I'd sure want to know something about hardware failure rates before spending the extra money.

Re: Imacon Digital Back

Hello.

Anyone knows if an Imacon Flexframe 3020 can be used WITHOUT the adapter?

I've used a better light scanning back once, on a still life using HMI lighting. When the image was enlarged on the screen to 50% and larger there was a very obvious banding. The banding looked like either the stepping motors were not smooth or the HMIs had a flicker that was invisible to the naked eye.

Digital backs used with wide angles are going to be problematic until much larger CCDs are available. The megapixel size is becoming less and less a quality factor as a larger CCD with less megapixels is more likely to produce a higher quality image.

However for fashion or still life where longer lenses are the more common optics used, a MF digi back is the most cost effective and probably most desired medium for capture. However unless you have sufficient work demands, and income from your photography to pay off a digi back in the first year ( and still make a real profit) the accelerated obsolescence of digital equipment will cost you dearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    I've used a better light scanning back once, on a still life using HMI lighting. When the image was enlarged on the screen to 50% and larger there was a very obvious banding. The banding looked like either the stepping motors were not smooth or the HMIs had a flicker that was invisible to the naked eye.

Digital backs used with wide angles are going to be problematic until much larger CCDs are available. The megapixel size is becoming less and less a quality factor as a larger CCD with less megapixels is more likely to produce a higher quality image.

However for fashion or still life where longer lenses are the more common optics used, a MF digi back is the most cost effective and probably most desired medium for capture. However unless you have sufficient work demands, and income from your photography to pay off a digi back in the first year ( and still make a real profit) the accelerated obsolescence of digital equipment will cost you dearly.
    I'm curious as to the obsolescence comment. Five years from now, will the photos from the back be any worse? Does the resolution drop? I always find these obsolete comments funny. Did my stash of Velvia become obsolete when the new version came out?

The back does not become obsolete!