Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about Sander

A question about Sander

I have been studying ASander's work for a while ( it never stops fascinating me ).
    I have often wondered what lenses he used , and my guessing has narrowed the choice to two lenses : Heliar or Dagor, or maybe both.
    Does anybody know?

A question about Sander

I don't know, but I share your admiration of Sander's work, and find that it is influencing my own very much. Could you share your favorite sources of Sander information, including websites? thanks!

A question about Sander

Have you looked at the recent huge multi-volume publication of his project? I saw it for sale at a comparatively decent price a while back (considering how big it is).

Produced in conjunction with his son/grandson?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

A question about Sander

From August Sander publ. by Taschen, 1999 p. 108 "in a letter of 1925 to Prof. Stenger [Sander] wrote, 'In order to achieve a clear pure photograhy, I use Zeiss lenses, an orthochromatic plate and corresponding light filter and clear fine grained glossy paper. I make my photos on 12x161/2 or 13x18 plates enlarging them to 18x24. "

A question about Sander

I am a big fan of low key portraiture. As it is the style i prefer to work in....much more dramatic to me. Sanders portraits of the peasant woman and the taxi driver are some of the best I've every seen. But to me what made Sanders so special was his uncanny ability to capture the human condition.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

A question about Sander

If he used Zeiss lenses, I'll make a wild guess at Tessar Serie Ic f:3.5. Very sharp centrally, less coverage than the better known Serie IIb f:4.5 which is what most of us think of as just "Tessar".

Maybe I should try the one I have? I bought a 150mm/f:3.5 a while ago - it was sold as "old shutter with glass in", and I bought it for the lensboard it was mounted on (!). Turned out the lens looked great, so I'm still looking for another lensboard for Compur #2!

A question about Sander

If you like August Sander, you might enjoy the work of Evelyn Hofer. Try "Dublin: A Portrait" or "London Percieved".

A question about Sander

I'm glad Evelyn Hofer was mentioned. Her work is truly wonderful.

A question about Sander

why not ask his studio?

august sander archiv, cologne

A question about Sander

"Verrrry interestink! " as Artie Johnson would say.

I wonder if anyone is working on a project entitled People of the Twentyfirst Century? What an idea---who are we 21st Centurians, what do we do and what do we look like? A Sander didn't start his project until the 1920's right? I guess it will take a couple of decades before we can see what the true 21st Centurian will look like since we could still be mistaken for 20th Centurians. The new model will probably have one big eye the size of computer monitor and Starbucks coffee stained teeth;-) It reminds me of the facinating prints of biological specimens I saw awhile back in View Camera magazine, only this time its with people.

Perhaps I'm being unfair, but my impression of Sander's portraits is that they are beautiful but unnerving. Genuine but disturbing. Maybe in my mind I can't seperate the political realities from the photographic that Sander does such a good job with. I guess its sort of like discovering that your mother is a drunken floozy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White