Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilex-Calumet Wide Field Caltar 90mm f8 Lens

Ilex-Calumet Wide Field Caltar 90mm f8 Lens

Does anyone have any experience with this lens. A google search turned up one discussion on this forum back in 2000. I t seems to cover 4x5 with room for movements. I have no idea how 103 degree coverage translate to image circle size. Presently I'm using a 90mm Optar WA, which has zero room for movement. I need to move up from there.

How is the image quality, sharp across the whole image? I shoot only B&W.
    What is the filter size? I saw once reference that it did not have filter threads.

Any info will be helpful.

Brian

Brian,

I owned one for a short time and ultimately replaced it with a Nikon 90mm f/8 SW. The Ilex 90 is a good but not great lens. The image quality on my sample fell off well before the image circle did, even at f/22. The lack of filter threads was also an irritation.

Take the tangent of half of the angle of coverage, times the focal length, times 2. 226 mm.

I have, and use, one of these lenses. I picked mine up via ebay for about $125.00 ( a steal of a price). It's a pretty nice lens that has enough coverage for 5X7, though I only use it on a 4X5. Carol Miller of Flutot's Camera Repair did the CLA on the Seikosha shutter (another $45.00).

The lens is sharp and has good contrast - especially good contrast for a single coated lens. Obviously since it can cover 5X7, there is plenty of room for movements with 4X5.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have front filter threads. I have a series VIII slip-on filter holder that fits the rear lens cell, but abandoned that idea because of the focus shift and some flare problems. I found that a series VIII retaining ring will slip nicely over the front cell and I hold it in place with some black electrical tape. The added bonus to series VIII is that 67mm filters are a direct screw-on fit.

If , unlike Jim, but like me, you're not mathematically inclined, laying it out on paper is an easy alternative. Draw a line. Draw another line starting at the first one and at an angle of half that of the lens. On the first line, measure out the focal length.from where the two lines join. From that point draw a vertical line. Measure the length of the vertical line and double the figure. This will be the image diameter.

Thanks all. Seems like this lens gets mixed reviews. I saw one of Ebay for a BIN of $200. Thought it might be a good deal. Think I'll wait and see what else comes along. The thing I really need to do is sell my Busch Pressman and Speed Graphic and get a good field camera.

Again, thanks for all the responses. I'll let my wife do the math, she tutors math.

Brian

Don't know about the mixed reviews. I have been using one of these lenses on 5X7 for years and IMO it is every bit as good as a 90mm Super Angulon of the same period in terms of performance and coverage.

The only thing I really don't like is the fact that there are no threads on the front for filters or filter holders. Can't imagine what the desisgner of the lens must have been thinking at the time! But, to be fair, there are good work-a-rounds for this flaw, one of which was mentioned before.

At $200 it is a good buy. It will not give you the same kind of performance as a Nikkor 90mm f/9 SW, but on the other hand you are not likely to find the Nikkor for anywhere close to $200.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

With a bit of patience it should be possible to pick up a modern 90 at an attractive price on the Famous Auction Site. The best bargains are among the later Caltars - types W-II (Schneider Super Angulon) and II-N (Rodenstock Grandagon). I paid all of $400 for my 90/6.8 Caltar II-N in like-new condition; Calumet currently sells it new for $929.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

I bought one about 28 years ago, still have it, and have no complaints. In a side by side with a Super Angulon of the same vintage, there was no discernable difference.

I'm very happy with mine -- very sharp and nice color rendition for a single-coated lens, especially for the price. The Seikosha shutter is solid. I got mine in an online auction for $125 as well, so the deals are out there. For under $200, I don't see how you can beat it. I've only used it for 4x5 and smaller (roll film backs) so edge fall-off hasn't been a problem.