Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G Claron & other process lenses

G Claron & other process lenses

G Claron lenses are detailed as being capable of infinity focus when stopped down to f22.

When taking landscape images I almost invariably use forward tilt and a degree of hyperfocal distance focusing.

When the G Claron lenses (etc) are described as capable of infinity focus at f22, does this refer to the lens already having been focused out to infinity or take into account a degree of focusing employing hyperfocal distance?

Knowing the official explanation of this is probably more helpful than trying to work it out by taking a number of shots to see the effect, which is quite expensive where 5x4 film is concerned and which may not lead to a better understanding.

Extra stopping down beyond a certain point is not usually a good idea either.
    I'd be grateful if anyone has any information on this or even the definitive answer.

Thanks Geoff

Re: G Claron & other process lenses

There are certainly dozens of threads on this subject. Use your G Claron just like any other lens. They are sharp at infinity at f:22 and f:16 in my experience with virtually the entire line up. I suspect infinity looks just fine at f:11 too, but I haven't actually tried that. You don't have to stop them down to get a sharp image at infinity. There is no "effect" to see and test for. If you really must test, take one photo at infinity at f:16 and you'll see what I mean.

Several people have reported that the later ones are optimized for more distant objects but I've not seen anything official on that. My experience is with new and old versions.

My 270mm G-Claron is extremely sharp - I use it for landscapes and other detail studies, typically at f/16 or 22. You should just take it out and shoot with it...

I could be misinterpreting but it sounds like you are asking whether or not the lens will have a sufficient image circle when employing hyperfocal focusing and/or tilts.

If so, generally the answer is yes, of course depending on the focal length you are using. The GC lenses are well-known for very generous image circle specs.

If your question is about image quality, well, I think that's also a foregone conclusion - excellent all around.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I interpreted the question as starting from the position that the lens couldn't handle infinity, but could you still get there by stopping down. But I could be wrong.

Drew Wiley

Just because G Clarons were originally advertised for closeup tabletop photography and were especially well corrected for this doesn't mean they're any less suitable for infinity than a general-purpose plasmat. In fact, they're even better than most at infinity, even at f/11, though smaller stops like f/22 are more frequently employed due to other issues like film plane flatness, variations in subject plane relative to swings and tilts, etc. They're wonderfully versatile lenses
    in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just because G Clarons were originally advertised for closeup tabletop photography and were especially well corrected for this doesn't mean they're any less suitable for infinity than a general-purpose plasmat. In fact, they're even better than most at infinity, even at f/11, though smaller stops like f/22 are more frequently employed due to other issues like film plane flatness, variations in subject plane relative to swings and tilts, etc. They're wonderfully versatile lenses
    in the field.
    +1 this.

I'd waste the 4x5 film since everyone responding may not know anymore about the question than you do.

Drew Wiley

Nonsense, Luis. I've been shooting and printing G-Claron images for decades, both color and b&w. So have a quite number of other people on this forum.