Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Loosing my nerve??????

Loosing my nerve??????

Help?

For reasons too complex to describe here, I find myself in the position of having a fair sum of cash that "MUST" be spent on camera gear.
    Initially I was thrilled at the prospect of buying a new Wista or Sinar with a shiny new lens but, here I am, one week later, full of doubt.

What if I spend all this money then find I can no longer get film?, Should I go Hasselblad and hope the resale value holds up if I get twitchy about materials.
    The bit that hurts the most is, I am actually looking at digital cameras (will I ever face a mirror again?) but can't live with the obsolescence rate which is about three months.
    And never mind is film dead, judging by the exponential rate of development in camera phones I guess the next question is "Are DSLR's Dead"

I am not a rich man by any standards regardless of my opening comment and really don't want blow it at this point.

I need Guidance.

Loosing my nerve??????

Large format film has more practical reasons to survive in the digital era than 35mm film. The only digital backs capable of out-resolving 4x5 film are very expensive and difficult to use in the field, requiring longer, scanning exposures. With the exception of the latest 22mp one-shot chips used on the latest Phase One back (at $25K), there is nothing close to 4x5 on the market. And it is doubtful that there will be, as it becomes uneconomic to create a high res, low cost back for a smaller market.

Also, while the major players may get out of film, the manufacturing technology has trickled down to smaller operations. There are several "boutique" film manufacturers, and given that people still make Platinum prints and you can buy classic films roll films (like turn of the century (1900) 828 and such) online, I wouldn't worry too much. Color E-6 might go away, but black and white will always be around.

That said, if you have that much money burning a hole in your pocket, you'd be foolish not to consider a good DSLR (Canon 1Ds2 perhaps?) and compare. As nice as large format is, it is even nicer to be producing images, and you should get what will make you satisfied and productive.

Loosing my nerve??????

Now you're really scaring me!

Colour E-6 going away, that's my preferred medium.
    Don't say it's true!

Loosing my nerve??????

Tony,

Assuming that there is no practical reason for this gear you find that you "must" buy(unlike, say, you have to plow it back into a business in order to keep the IRS lads from taking you to the cleaners) then get what makes you happy. If, OTOH you do have to make an investment in your business, buy something that will make you(and the IRS) more money. Those medical imaging machines that take in the womb baby portraits seem to be hot ticket items right now!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Loosing my nerve??????

If you MUST spend the money, buy something you'll enjoy using for many years and don't worry about resale value. You have to get rid of the money anyway - enjoy the feeling and equipment.

Personally, I'd be buying something really nice from the secondhand market. You'll get more camera for your buck, and most resale losses have happened before you took possession. A mint Arca Swiss and a couple of Schneider SA XL lenses are on the top of the wish list around this house (at least in the "Male - Nearly 40" demographic.)

(Oh, and don't listen to Frank - E6 film will be around for some time to come yet ....)

Loosing my nerve??????

Just to clarify things:

I am not in business, next to god and my family photography is the biggest love of my life & the cash is really a gift of photographic shop vouchers.

I am a peasant but have enough vouchers to buy something in the order of a new Hasselblad 503CW (should I wish). The vouchers have a six month expiration date and cannot be transferred or changed for cash. In a word (or three) I am lumbered.

In the UK I am considered low life because I could only afford an MPP MKVII with an old angulon, whereas a Linhof would be seen as acceptable.
    Actually, that's probably not true, though there is almost a class war here over what you have in your camera bag.
    I want to continue photography as long as I draw breath but don't want to invest in something which I can't use in say,,, 10 years time.

Thanks for the reassurance on E-6 by the way.

Loosing my nerve??????

"don't want to invest in something which I can't use in say,,, 10 years time."

I think you just answered your own question.

Go with your top quality sheet film camera and you'll still have it in 30 years. At worst case, you may end up changing a bellows in 20 or 30 years or have the shutter serviced but it'll still be trucking! :-)

If you buy digital, what's the chance that the electronics will still be working in 30 years? (I work in the electronics field, have been since the days of vacuum tubes, and I wouldn't plan on more than 10 years from ANY electronic equipment.)

. . . . oh to have such a delema!!!

Loosing my nerve??????

Tony, if I were you I would take advantage of being in the UK and pick up a gently used walnut Gandolfi Variant and a mint/new lens to put on it. Even if it looks like E-6 will be on its way out, you can put a case in the freezer and that will keep you going for a long time.

Loosing my nerve??????

Tony -

Digital technology is continuing to evolve at a frightful rate, and the digital equipment that you might purchase today will be technologically obsolete when you open the box for the first time. I would be concerned that if you spend a sum of money on a digital product today, you will find yourself with a self-imposed desire to spend just as much, if not more, on some new gadget a year from now.

But conventional LF technology hasn't changed significantly in 50 years or more. Yes, some of the companies that supply film to support traditional technology are currently facing business challenges - but that's not new and it's also not unique to film manufacturers. There will continue to be a market for traditional film for the forseeable future. Right now, film is dirt cheap; frankl,y the market can absorb a sizable increase in the price of film and that may have to happen to address the business concerns of the manufacturers. But that doesn't mean that film will become unavailable, just more expensive.

In my opinion, the INCREMENTAL amount of money that you may have to spend because film is likely to become more expensive will be far less than the amount of money that you might want to spend to replace that brand new digital whizaflex a year from now.

Loosing my nerve??????

The great Frederick H. Evans, when he could no longer get Platinum due to the war effort, refused to work in silver. From that point on he never made another print. If they take my film away.......well then.....I'm done