Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrified Forest A-I-R on deck.

Petrified Forest A-I-R on deck.

Oct 3-17. Making a list and checking it twice. I've been over-walking the area on google maps, finding features and measuring distances. Pretty neat to be able to switch from "terrain" to "satellite" for a close look. Desert is full of road tracks and abandoned roads and bridges. We'll see what kind of access they give me. I will get a long half-day in Canyon de Chelly and a day at Shiprock. There are a lot of dirt roads in the area just outside the park that navigate pretty interesting country.

Ordered 250 sheets of film from B&H. Taking my 5X7, a Hasselblad and a Fugi 6X9 with a 65mm on it. May not touch the roll cameras but I do have an idea that requires them if I shoot it. Katie going with me, so that will be nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	139804

Looking back through the past few years of negatives to see where I was and where I might be going visually.

The park service started cutting Russian Olive and invasive species and opening up the canyon last year. Some scenes that hadn't been visible since the 60s are open. Much more chopping and burning should have been done by now, unless the process broke down. Be interesting to see.

Re: Petrified Forest A-I-R on deck.

On of the great things about film that digital shooters miss is buying a stack of boxes and wondering what adventures, miracles, disasters and travels are going to happen before you get to the bottom of the stack. I've got 250 sheets to take West to Petrified Forest. I'll be a slightly different person by the time I get back and you can count the changes by the sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    On of the great things about film that digital shooters miss is buying a stack of boxes and wondering what adventures, miracles, disasters and travels are going to happen before you get to the bottom of the stack. I've got 250 sheets to take West to Petrified Forest. I'll be a slightly different person by the time I get back and you can count the changes by the sheet.
    That's a great observation about the film boxes----I have similar feelings about them.
    Have a swell trip. I've flown over the Petrified Forest several times and have long been curious about the area. Please post your adventures
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	140144

Boxes of fun and adventure! I usually log the shots as they happen, but can get in a hurry. Usually that's on the white cardboard that comes inside the film box. (It goes in the negative file with the processed and proofed images.) I'll be posting some on the Book of Face, but mostly on Robert Langham Blog. Depends on the Wifi connection. Planning to cut down on social media for a lot of the trip, but will all get posted sooner or later.

Not everyone does this, but I vista-printed some Robert Langham/AIR/Petrified Forest business cards with contact info and a photo on them. I'll hand them all out.
    Last edited by Robert Langham; 26-Sep-2015 at 08:03.

We are in the cabin and starting to work. Trapped mice the first night after hearing one beginning to sort the tortilla chips. Five mice, fed to a Raven on the first night, two last night. Rained out of a shot waiting on rainbow. Perfect weather with just a bit of wind.

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	140669
    Pueblo Pintado

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	140670
    Kin Ya'a.

Name:	IMG_0597.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	140672
    One night's run through the mice.

Drew Wiley

You know the old Navajo taboo about mice don't you? Handle em with disposable gloves or use hand sanitizer afterwards. Deer mice sometimes carry stuff in the
    SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You know the old Navajo taboo about mice don't you? Handle em with disposable gloves or use hand sanitizer afterwards. Deer mice sometimes carry stuff in the
    SW.
    Hantavirus - you don't want to get it

Drew Wiley

Even out here, in the Sierra, we've had a few recent rodent deaths from both Hanta and the plague. The biggest risk is on wet years (we're in a drought now),
    when mice overpopulate and rapidly spread things between each other. Plague in endemic. Too many people (Yosemite for example) or too many mice in one
    area, and the risk goes up. But Hanta can be caught thru old droppings. Plague is via fleas of course. Someone got it from chipmunks in Tuolumne Mdws this summer. Fortunately, it can be cured with antibiotics if diagnosed early enough. The statistically risk of catching either of these is quite rare; but given the potentially fatal result, nothing to be foolish about either. I always have some sanitizing wipes with me when car camping.

What is "A-I-R"?

Artist-in-residence.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"