Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by gijsbert View Post
    Not really modded but managed to attach the Fuji PA-145 Instant Holder:
    Attachment 149029Attachment 149030
    It's still a bit front 'heavy' with the Fujinon 90mm but still very light, and very cool! I removed the dark slide and put a bit of foam just in case the slide opening would leak some light. The image has some funky colors but this pack has been open for 18 months so perhaps that explains it, I like the look of it so no worries.

I must admit I'm a bit bummed that the PA-45 doesn't fit, I bought a few packs just for the Travelwide.
    I guess it could fit if I saw the spring holder off but that seems excessive. Another way would be to create a spacer between the back and the PA-45, so its hinge would fit over the spring holder. I can't measure it right now how much it needs, but if it was less than 8 or 9mm it could still work with the F/8 lenses because the flange distance is 98mm, it might actually give a bit closer focus, as well!

Cheers.
    gijsbert, Any more luck on the PA-45?

Hi Soonerpa,

I hope you'll have your TW ready by Worldwide Pinhole Camera day.

Greetings to all,

Today is April 6th, only 17 days until Worldwide Pin Hole Day, the 24th; the 3rd Sun. of April 2016. So finally we're all but forced to try out our TW Pinhole adapter. It's been along time coming and I procrastinated all that I can. I dug out the pinhole adapter and discovered it was rubber with the metal insert and not all in appearance like the plastic Pinwide shown on the Wanderlust web site. My first thought was, is the diameter of pinhole the same on both products? It would make sense that are but when does that have to do with anything? Anyone know?

On the web site, Pinhole data sheet, it says the apertures are f96- f128, with a FOV of 80 degrees. However I had copied down info from this forum, awhile back, that the apertures are f283 with the helical retracted, and f346 with the helical extended. F205 is with the 65mm lens mount. I am conflicted with this information. Can anyone resolve this data difference?

Even more importantly, has any one developed a time exposure chart for the TW pinhole? I would like to take a couple practice shots before Pinhole Day. I'll be joining a group at a desert reptilian preserve for mid-day shooting. I don't think the “sunny 16” rule will apply. Please share what you know?

Happytrails,
    SteveP

I haven't had time to work on the PA-45, and all I can think of now is to get some plexiglass 8mm thick and try to saw a hole in it; I don't have many tools since I am not much of a DIY person. I wish I had a 3D printer!
    If somebody were in mind to make an insert (shim?) 8mm thick (maybe 7mm to be on the flange distance safe side), with the ridge, I would totally buy that.

I find the regular size fujiroids a bit smallish so it would be so cool to shoot the 4x5 (3.5x4.5" i think), but the prices have gone totally silly on *bay for those, I must admit I'm tempted to sell the 3 boxes that I have.

Cheers,
    Gijsbert

Gijsbert- The pack back is meant to be secured with bungies or rubber bands as in your photo. If you shim the back , you'll throw off the focus and be useless for 4x5 film holders. You have rightly removed the spring clip back.

That's why I am thinking of a temporary shim just to get the PA-45, which is too wide to fit, to clear the left side (that holds the spring back).
    I would have to recalibrate the focus with the shim that's true, but at least I could use the Travelwide with the PA-45. I should really check how much shim I need to clear the spring holder, perhaps it could fit both the PA-45 and normal sheet holders.
    Btw I would use the PA-45 just to shoot big fujiroids, not as 'test' to then do a negative sheet exposure, so having to recalibrate between those uses is okay. From a cost perspective b&w sheets are way cheaper now than those 4x5 fujiroids!

I've managed to get one of the travelwide cameras from eBay and i've tried to calibrate it using the screen that came with the camera but even with a loupe at my age it is really hard as my eyes are not good as they used to be. I've done a few test shots and i think i've nearly done it.... but i'm going to have to get a new ground glass as I just can't get it perfect! Taken using fuji FP100C 4x5

Here is a test shot measured and set to 0.7m
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	travelwide.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	151234

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that the numbers on the Travelwide were made with the Angulon in mind and if you got a different lens, like an f8 then you'd need to recalibrate.

I tried to find that information but can't seem to find it. Did I imagine that? I wish the Wanderlust guys were around to answer technical questions.

Yes, the 90mm version of the Travelwide was specifically designed for (but not limited to) the Angulon.

So it wouldn't need any calibration, correct? just set it to where it stops and move the rubber band to match infinity?

Every time I check infinity I end up moving that rubber band and now I'm double guessing myself.

No, the helical needs to be set at where infinity is as seen on the GG, not simply racked all the way back. It can focus out past infinity with the Angulon, which may be needed for lenses with a shorter FFD.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome