Page 23 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

No mods, but finally got my Angulon mounted. It was something of a PITA with the depth in the camera and getting my (also brand new) spanner down there and also with having my retaining ring notches somewhat deformed from some over zealous tightening at some point, probably by the same 800 lb. gorilla that had last mounted it on my Tech III board, but I finally managed it.

I agree that the plastic focus screen is barely adequate. It has enough texture of its own that it's hard to find precise infinity focus but considering the lack of precision inherent in setting a distance scale, I'm sure I got it close enough.

In spite of the posts already saying so I had to try all my other film holders to see for myself. Calumet 6x7 rollfilm back? Fuggitaboutit. Though really if I wanted to use roll film I'd use one of my rollfilm cameras, though the idea of doing some pinhole shots with Delta 3200 did come to mind. There are other cameras that can do that, though. Grafmatic? Nyet. Polaroid 405? Nope, although it comes closest. Someone could make a replacement spring set that has each spring about half as wide and that one would fit without removing the spring back. Only a regular DDS fits, which is what I expected.

I honestly just propped it up on that glass on the first suitable surface I could find without a cluttered background. It was only later I realized there was another retro statement in photographing my new 4x5 film camera sitting on the glass over my turntable.

Still need to get myself a rangefinder for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Travelwide2b.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	142566

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    It would be great if those posting images would list the lens used. I'm seeing a lot of Super Angulons and kind of defeats my purpose, as I want light by using a shorter 90mm lens (angulon, perhaps other)
    The SA is pretty light. I don't mind carrying the ƒ/8 all day. The Angulon is absolutely featherweight, but you have to put up with slightly soft corners.

Steve, I'll have to look up the data we have on the GG. I believe it's PC. Keep in mind, everyone, that we'll be offering a revised first-party GG for free (plus shipping). I plan to tackle that in the first few weeks of 2016.

Somehow I missed that a real usable GG was forthcoming for just shipping. That'll be great Ben!

Looking forward to the new GG but not the end of the world. My camera is focused well enough but I am sure there will be some times when I would like to be able to ensure critical focus on something without resorting to f/16 or higher apertures.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Small town, South Carolina, US

I had a ground glass back from an old B&J Press camera laying around. So was able with a little work to make a substitute for the one supplied by Ben.

That said, just about the only reason I would ever need it would be for composition purposes now that I have my Angulon dialed in.

The Travelwide is a P&S camera and that is the way I plan to use it. Estimate the distance in feet and convert it to meters in my head and take the shot.

Re: Wanderlust 4X5 Travelwide

I had a little cheap plastic optical viewfinder within a couple weeks of backing the project, so I'm going to use that. I really don't know HOW one is supposed to use the wire frame "sports finder." What it frames is totally dependent on the distance it is from your eye. Is there a specified distance for using it or what am I missing?

I have a Russian rangefinder thing to figure out distance to aid in focusing, but I only use it for up close. How close is the wire frame to your eye? My brow is almost touching it. So far, so good.
    The image I posted above was shot at infinity, lens wide open.

I'm going to paint the distance scale on the travelwide, white. The numbers are VERY difficult to see. Very happy they are in metres!

And of course I wish they were in feet. For one thing, feet are a finer (as in smaller, not superior) unit of measurement. Centimeters are way too small and no one uses decimeters which would, for that matter, still be too small. (One problem with metric for everyday use - often times a unit 1/10 as much is too small while the unit itself is too large to really be convenient in everyday use.) But I can see how a small project like this can't produce cameras with two focusing scales so it's the same choice I'd have made if I were the makers.

Metric is easier.