Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3644454647 LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

With a proper LF loupe (like the 3.6x Toyo), even the crappy groundglass that came with it works okay to calibrate - I use mine generally for infinity shots (which is probably also the easiest to calibrate) and I got things down pretty well. At the time I doublechecked how well the infinity calibration worked then when you dialed it down to 10 (the scale is in meters, so 10 is 10 meters), and with the proper Schneider lens, it works quite well. In practical terms, at f16 or f22 (with TMax 400), I get pretty consistent results. There are the general laws of physics on a 1950s wideangle lens that prevent you front shooting wide-open with satisfactory results...

I still use mine regularly, and was just shooting with it last weekend...

Mike

My Travelwide helical was very tight with grab/slip focusing the day it arrived. Tried everything but in the end the two retainers in the back broke their screw holes. I jury rigged a solution but the helical just kept getting tighter until it wouldn’t turn. I live in a place with cool wet winters with 90-100% humidity at least 6 months of the year so that could have been the problem.
    Right now my Travelwide body has a 100mm f8.8 triplet from a free Kodak Tourist a friend gave me. The bellows were full of pinholes and although the lens was made to cover a diagonal of 100mm it seems to cover a square 90X90mm frame just fine. Not exactly large format, but close.

Edit; In fact, it turned out it will almost cover 94X94mm before it runs out of image circle, but I settled on 90X90.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Lungu View Post
    Hm, not sure anyone still uses one of these, but I would like to put some sheets trough mine - never used it since I got it. I was wondering if you guys have somehow calibrated the focus on yours. I am using mine with a 90mm 6.8 Angulon and was actually planning on using it as a P&S with the sports viewfinder and a AGFA rangefinder on one of the hot shoes. Would that work out of the box ?
    Hi Stefan,

Yes, I am still using my Travelwides, one of them with a 90mm as well. Focus was calibrated per instructions, i.e. focusing on an object in the far distance and setting the helicoil marking ring to infinity at this setting. All other focusing distances on the helicoil were then checked also, but they all fell into place.

I've been using the Travelwide for point and shoot photos, too. Coming from a Leica rangefinder, it was easy to apply zone focusing techniques with the wide angle lens. Instead of the sports finder I am using a Voigtländer 21mm viewfinder on top of the camera. Works extremely well!

Where in Germany are you from?

Cheers
    Andreas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AW_20160304XT1_3421_Wanderlust_Travelwide_90.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	212767
    To infinity - and beyond...

Hi Andreas, that combo of 90/8 SA and Travelwide is looking good . Currently I only have the older Angulon for the TW and would keep the SA for a 4x5 with movements .
    I'm East of Frankfurt, so basically in the middle of Germany

Regards, Stefan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9796BC63-80AA-4ADF-9610-836D44CE94DA.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	212798
    Here is my outfit - level, viewfinder & Voigtländer Light Meter. Being in Arizona, humidity is not an issue, but (luckily) even while traveling (Germany, Hawaii, Australia etc. ) no problems...
    Mike
    Last edited by mbisc; 16-Feb-2021 at 20:29. Reason: Double image

Managed the first two shots today with the Travelwide, but forgot to stop down the lens, so I shot the Angulon wide open . Actually, that leads me to my only problem with this setup : I am having a hard time using the sports viewfinder and therefore wa trying to frame the shot using the GG. I saw some viewfinders mentioned in this thread - what would be the one that fits best to the Angulon ? I saw Olympus VF 1 mentioned, I was thinking in the lines of Ricoh VF-x21 or Voigtlander 21. Since I don't have any of them I would have to buy one and try out afterwards.

Regards, Stefan

I use only the included sports finder

When I get the 5X7 version I make one
    Tin Can

21mm works for the short dimension. 25mm for the long. Pick your poison.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Some guy on ebay used to sell viewfinders for 90mm on 4x5 cameras for something like $25 - that's what you see on my camera above (in the middle cold shoe) - not great but it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Lungu View Post
    Managed the first two shots today with the Travelwide, but forgot to stop down the lens, so I shot the Angulon wide open . Actually, that leads me to my only problem with this setup : I am having a hard time using the sports viewfinder and therefore wa trying to frame the shot using the GG. I saw some viewfinders mentioned in this thread - what would be the one that fits best to the Angulon ? I saw Olympus VF 1 mentioned, I was thinking in the lines of Ricoh VF-x21 or Voigtlander 21. Since I don't have any of them I would have to buy one and try out afterwards.

Regards, Stefan
    As Bryan said, either 21 or 25 works fine. I went for the Voigtaender 21mm and compose slightly tighter on the long side. For my second TW with a 65mm lens, I am using the Voigtlaender 15mm viewfinder.

If you want to try the 21mm viewfinder, drop me a note. I am not too far from you, roughly 20min west of Frankfurt airport. Our studio and community darkroom is only slightly north of Frankfurt, we could also meet there:
    https://silvergrainclassics.com/en/studio-lab/

Cheers
    Andreas
    To infinity - and beyond...