Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ready load and Fuji holder question

Ready load and Fuji holder question

FWIW A few years ago I tested the various holders for film flatness and found the Fuji films in Fuji holders to be the best. Its true that they all work in the Polaroid holders but at least in my very old Pol. holder the film was not kept as flat as in the Fuji.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

One comment one question...

Comment: While Steve is correct the concensus is that the Polaroid holders are the most compatible, however there is a drawback the weight 18.4 oz vs 10.6 for Fuji and 9.7 for the Kodak. The Polaroid is also bulkier.

Comment: I have had some T-Max100 Readyloads that have severe warping of the packets.

Kerry - isn't it only the latest model of the Kodak single-sheet holder that works consistently well with both Readyloads and Quickloads? I seem to recall numerous reports of problems trying to use Fuji film in the earlier models of the Kodak holder. If so, as the newer Kodak holder was introduced only recently, buyers on the used market would need to confirm model specifics if both film brands were to be used.

Ralph,

All my comments were specific to the Single Sheet Readyload holder. It's been on the market for over three years now, and is easy to distinguish from the earlier double sheet version. It has a large red release button, rounded corners, a nice padded case and is clearly labeled "READYLOAD SINGLE-SHEET PACKET FILM HOLDER" both directly on teh holder and the box it comes in.

Kerry

Kerry, there have been at least two iterations of the single-sheet ReadyLoad holder you describe. The first had graflok slots and shiny edges around the film that caused lines of density variation there. The second (current?) has no gaflok slots and dulled film gate edges; I don't know whether any other internal changes were made that might have impacted compatibility with QuickLoad packets.

I own both of these versions, the first purchased when single-sheet ReadyLoad holders were introduced around three years ago, the second supplied by Kodak at no charge some time later when I asked about the edge density problem.

Sal,

I don't believe there were any internal changes. I actually used as pre-production protoype of the Single-Sheet Readyload holder back before it went into production. It worked fine with the Fuji Quickload packtes, but as you mentioned, the shiny edges around the film opening caused bright lines around the periphery of the image area. I don't know if I was the first to notice this problem, but I reported it to Kodak and sent them examples showing this problem during in my testing. I was glad to see they fixed this in later production models of the holder. It is also possible to fix this problem on older Single-Sheet eadyload holders by using a little sand paper to remove the glossy finish from the shiny edges (just be sure to clean out your holder good after doing so).

Kerry