Thanks for the advice regarding medium for large format scanned images. As you can see, I'm exploring the whole digital thang. I have another question:

After scanning a negative or transparency, one has the choice of either embedding or assigning the scanner profile when opening the scanned image in Photoshop. Usually, when generating the profile (using Monaco EZColor), one turns off all adjustments in the scanner's driver, things like adjusting histograms for brightness levels, curves for contrast control, contolling hues and saturations, auto-exposure level, etc. This means not employing any of these aids when doing an actual scan.

However, when making these types of adjustments, isn't it better to make them as far upstream as possible, versus in Photoshop? For example, it's better to adjust lighting deficiencies pre-exposure, versus post-exposure. Would the same be true for scanning? Is it better to make image adjustments using the driver aids pre-scan, versus making image adjustments post-scan in Photoshop? (I'm assuming that a correct monitor profile has been invoked.) For example, large adjustments to histograms to Photoshop levels can thin out the histogram and introduce gaps in the data. Would it not be better make these levels adjustments pre-scan? Do these pre-scan adjustments get made as the image is scanned, or added after the image is scanned? (If added after, one might as well do the adjustments post-scan in Photoshop.)

A related question. If one makes these pre-scan adjustments, can one still invoke the scanner's profile when opening the image in Photoshop? At some point, one should still adjust for the scanner's idiosyncrasies, shouldn't they? Put another way, how can one make pre-scan adjustments, and still adjust for the scanner's idiosyncrasies? (This assumes it's OK to make pre-scan adjustments, which is still an open question in this thread.)

To summarize my questions, is it better to make digital adjusts on film pre- or post scan? If the former, how does one still adjust for the scanner's idiosyncrasies?