Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help: Selling or licensing digital files

Re: I need help: Selling or licensing digital files

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    I wouldn't bother with the 1999 article, there better info on the website with current language and ideas for the web use if there is any.
    Your loss. The historical value is there, not concerning today's rates, but to show how we got to where we are, and in some markets it our fault.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Follow up.

Most of the websites I have found fall into one of two categories. The first are wanting to sell a photographer a software package for determining costs. This is based on the cost-of-goods-sold (COGS) model of pricing. The second types are offering free advice, but also based on COGS.

I finally found a site that said forget COGS, and use opportunity cost as a basis. For those unfamiliar with the terms, opportunity cost is what you may give up by doing something or selling something a different way.

Each situation is, of course, different, but in simplist terms, if I am giving a single file (as in this case) for one time publication, then the opportunity cost to me is the income from the print I would have sold them pre-digital. The price of the digital file is equal to the price of the equivalent print. (as also in Hoffner's post above)

I’m going with that. I have no need or desire to negotiate. And since I've already published a price list for prints, the price for an 8x10 will be the price.

Thanks. That was short.
    Pricing for publication has nothing to do with prices for 8x10 (or any size) prints. It's based on circulation, size and placement in the magazine, time, geography, web use, and exclusivity.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Your loss. The historical value is there, not concerning today's rates, but to show how we got to where we are, and in some markets it our fault.
    I've served on the Board of Directors of ASMP for a long time. The current Business Bible and the webinar series has the most relevant info on language, pricing and negotiating - and it was written by the smartest people in the room that I know and respect, and it reflects today's economy. The OP is off the mark with basing use for a magazine on a price for a print....

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    It is not a big deal. Just be clear they are not buying the image rights and are using them for the article. Charge $1000 to $10,000. There is no set fee.
    You clearly don't sell pictures to magazines. Asking up to $10. 000 is dreaming. I'm glad if I get everything from $60-$300 for pictures in books, magazines etc.

I've served on the Board of Directors of ASMP for a long time. The current Business Bible and the webinar series has the most relevant info on language, pricing and negotiating
    You are right, of course. The ASMP Guide to New Markets in Photography in particular is very good.

What Bruce said.

Another option is to purchase FotoQuote Pro. To use it you will need to know all the distribution information that Bruce mentions above. Circulation, region, size,...

All of this is just a starting point. Every magazine seems to have a different budget. So a (a little) and negotiate down if you have to. If it is a magazine you are interested in, and you hace to lower your price due to their budget, negotiate in other non-monetary things, like a free 10 year subscription, or favor you for upcoming assignment work.

150 bucks one time editorial use, and you get a 'photo by' and maybe a mention w/ your website in the article

Pricing out work for publication is a straightforward process. You will need to know the circulation of the publication, the size and amount of photos that they want to run, and whether they plan to have a web presence with the story along with the printed magazine. You can also ask what their normal rates are for assignments ( what it would cost the magazine to send a photographer to shoot the story ).
    This is essentially what I did.

Met with the editor yesterday and showed him the portfolio. He said he wanted pictures. He said normally he would hire a local free-lancer but he wanted my photos instead. The essence of the following conversation:

Me: How much would you pay the free-lancer?
    Editor: $X
    Me: And what would you get for that?
    Editor: 6 images
    Me: Mine are .5x each (the figure I had already decided on before meeting him)
    Editor: I'll take 3!

Bottom line: I'm getting 150% of what he would have paid me (or anyone else) the shoot the job, and I have negligible work to do. He admitted he had a budget, but X is what the local market allowed him to get away with.

No it's not 4 or 5 figures, but come on ...

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    150 bucks one time editorial use, and you get a 'photo by' and maybe a mention w/ your website in the article
    I'll get photo credit. The article is written, and it's about the non-profit I'm doing the work for. Everybody's happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    David, you have a niche collection in your photographs. That's a good thing! I wish you the best of luck.
    Thank you!

It seems to me the editor was honest with you and you can be reasonably happy. End of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    This is essentially what I did.

Met with the editor yesterday and showed him the portfolio. He said he wanted pictures. He said normally he would hire a local free-lancer but he wanted my photos instead. The essence of the following conversation:

Me: How much would you pay the free-lancer?
    Editor: $X
    Me: And what would you get for that?
    Editor: 6 images
    Me: Mine are .5x each (the figure I had already decided on before meeting him)
    Editor: I'll take 3!

Bottom line: I'm getting 150% of what he would have paid me (or anyone else) the shoot the job, and I have negligible work to do. He admitted he had a budget, but X is what the local market allowed him to get away with.

No it's not 4 or 5 figures, but come on ...

I'll get photo credit. The article is written, and it's about the non-profit I'm doing the work for. Everybody's happy.

Thank you!
    You handled it well. Good for you.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"