Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most beautiful piece of furniture?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What is the most beautiful piece of furniture?

If you were to restore an old wooden camera as both a display piece of furniture in your home and also a functional portrait camera which would you choose?

Re: What is the most beautiful piece of furniture?

OK, by now most here know that I have (and really like) my Kodak 2D . . .however look at what someone has done to one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-2-D-Eastm...item43e18e09e4

I cringe at the thought of turning one into a floor lamp, but they say its still fully functional as a camera.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Oh yes: And I know a guy who has two ULF studio cameras on display in the center of his camera collection display room. They do not quite remind me of furniture . . .more like The Guns Of Navarone.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

One might wonder at the long-term effect, especially on the bellows, in such misuse. It isn't even pretty in my eyes. The 2-D has an unobtrusive dark finish. An earlier studio camera with bright hardware and really well-finished woodwork might look better, but still would have no more class than the restaurants that hang antique manure forks on the walls and call it chic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    [...] An earlier studio camera with bright hardware and really well-finished woodwork might look better [...]
    To the discerning woodworker, almost all early wooden cameras are far from good craft as it concerns wood selection and grain and color matching. Back then wood was just the most common, cheap material. I would feel compelled to replace all the wood with the right stuff, but then it would be just a vanity thing.

I'd want something small enough to fit in a lawyer's book case (behind glass) since my allergies don't respond well to dust. A big studio camera with huge bellows extended would be a dust magnet. A Graphic Crown View is sure a pretty little camera!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I'd want something small enough to fit in a lawyer's book case (behind glass) since my allergies don't respond well to dust. A big studio camera with huge bellows extended would be a dust magnet. A Graphic Crown View is sure a pretty little camera!
    something like a Lancaster?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2683332501_ae9b51a78f_m.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	138902

I had a wooden tri-color camera and the leather covering was coming off..so I steamed it all off and sanded the wood a bit and lacquered it

that was one sweet looking beast

The Crown View
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrownSide.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	138905
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

5x7 Elwood fully restored. Use 500 watt CFL, high contrast neg and white paper on baseboard.

Turn off remote room lighting and turn on Elwood. She will look correct, heat won't be a problem and could be tilted for wall projection 'a la Magic Lantern.

That should wow em in Peoria.

I have one ready. I want to rechrome Ms Elwood's dome (hat) inside and out. Powder coat the entire chassis in an interesting color, mount new red bellow and torture my friends with the slowest slide show ever...
    Tin Can