Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 11x14 camera build attempt - Questions

Re: 11x14 camera build attempt - Questions

That's really rather sexy, Pali!

Neil

In one of the first comments, someone questioned the stability of the support for the back.

Any conclusion now that the camera is ready?

Lars

Thank you Neil!

Lars, good question. I ended up going with a 1.5" square wood material for the feet that support the back which is double the material shown in the original blueprints. With it I can tell you that this thing feels solid even with full extension. I have zero concerns about this cameras stability. I actually think that I could have done with significantly less material in some places to reduce weight.

Pali

Flowers Still on Film by Pali K, on Flickr

11x14 HP5+ | Nikkor 450mm F9 at F22 | HC110 B | Epson V700 Scan

Did you scan several sections and stitch or is this a crop of the image?
    Either way, beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Did you scan several sections and stitch or is this a crop of the image?
    Either way, beautiful!
    Thank you Fr. Mark! Scanning all of my 11x14 negatives using Epson V700 in 4 sections. I use the photomerge feature in Photoshop (all auto) to quickly merge the sections into a single negative file.

Pali

Warmtone

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    Thank you Fr. Mark! Scanning all of my 11x14 negatives using Epson V700 in 4 sections. I use the photomerge feature in Photoshop (all auto) to quickly merge the sections into a single negative file.

Pali
    Hi, I have just come across this thread tonight and wanted to add my congratulations to you in building such an impressive 11x14 camera - no mean feat.
    Secondly, thanks for sharing the journey as it will inspire others to have a go.

I find the above still life photograph both technically excellent and aesthetically very pleasing. It quietly sends the message there is "no substitute for cc's"
    It seems to have a unique signature that "superior" digital cameras cannot emulate.

I am not a purist and pleased to see good use of both large format analogue and digital processes to deliver a fine result.
    In an odd sort of way the digital world (internet and this site) is enhancing the value of analogue photography for those who don't follow the crowd.

I have no doubt the print "sings" and the countless hours that have gone into camera construction pale into insignificance.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by warmtone View Post
    Hi, I have just come across this thread tonight and wanted to add my congratulations to you in building such an impressive 11x14 camera - no mean feat.
    Secondly, thanks for sharing the journey as it will inspire others to have a go.

I find the above still life photograph both technically excellent and aesthetically very pleasing. It quietly sends the message there is "no substitute for cc's"
    It seems to have a unique signature that "superior" digital cameras cannot emulate.

I am not a purist and pleased to see good use of both large format analogue and digital processes to deliver a fine result.
    In an odd sort of way the digital world (internet and this site) is enhancing the value of analogue photography for those who don't follow the crowd.

I have no doubt the print "sings" and the countless hours that have gone into camera construction pale into insignificance.

Keep up the good work!
    Thank you for such nice words warmtone. I really appreciate it!

I am very much like you when it comes to understanding the value for both the digital and analog mediums and use both frequently. I do however find that my heart lies with film most days. As you have noticed, there is an element of simplicity and pureness that comes with the analog process. The recent flower image actually started as a digital only setup but after trying for a few minutes, I just didn't feel satisfied with the results (thanks to instant previews of my results on digital). I had a sheet already loaded in the 11x14 setup and decided to shoot and compare the results after the fact. I am posting links to the two digital (from a total of 5 I took) that I like best for comparison.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/palika...etaken-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/palika...etaken-public/

Regards,

Pali

Warmtone

For me the large format image speaks to the heart with a an almost uncanny "presence". The image illustrates why large format film photography can be such a joy when the planets align.

The digital colour images are also "nice" but somehow do not command the same attention.... but to be fair the comparison should be made in B&W.
    I am sure Lightroom experts will say the digital image can be made to look the same with some careful adjustments?

I am not so sure.

I would say the ULF analogue image will always carry a different signature that is created by the contributions from the lens, film, developer combination and the unique way light interacts with film.
    And this is why many photographers are returning to large format film.

Incidentally which film developer combination are you using?

I look forward to seeing more images from this beast!

Thank you again Warmtone! All of these images were shot on HP5 developed in HC110-B.

So I finally got a bag that fits this monster and am hoping to take it out for a test run this weekend. Kept looking for an ideal bag and somehow stumbled into audio mixer bags that seem to come in a variety of sizes. I was able to find a size that is huge and fits my camera very nicely. Based on just look and feel of it, it seems strong enough to support the weight of the camera along with a lens, holder, and accessories. The bag I went with is Gator G-MIXERBAG with the dimension of 25" x 19" x 8" reasonably priced at just $79.99.

BHP Link Here

Excited to finally take the camera for an outdoor photo soon. As always, will post pictures after the weekend : )

Pali