Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: lights for wetplates

Re: lights for wetplates

No sun! My Gosh Ari, did people populate places where the sun doesn't shine!?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If I power my strobes with solar panels, does that count?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    No sun! My Gosh Ari, did people populate places where the sun doesn't shine!?
    Unfortunately, for me, Garrett, yes. After 30 winters here, I'm still not sure why it's so populated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    If I power my strobes with solar panels, does that count?
    No, but you will get a thank-you note from Al Gore.
    Written on recycled paper, of course.

Every time I go to Ottawa people proudly tell me it is the second coldest capital in the world (after Mongolia's Ulan Bator). Here we get cold if it drops into the seventies...

Magnesium flash
    File:Cars coming out of shaft, Comstock Mine, Virginia City, Nev. By O'Sullivan, 1867-68 - NARA - 519526.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I have yet to use it on a person, so I don't know how much spill there will be vs a real beauty dish, but they do look promising.
    And B&H has them: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dish_with.html
    You just need to get the appropriate adapter: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Adapt_For.html
    Ari, most beauty dishes can be gridded, including the one made by PC Buff. Octoboxes usually cannot.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Scott Davis

Not all flash manufacturers these days make flash tubes without UV-blocking coatings, but I know Bowens has them available. I have one in one of my heads for my Calumet Elite 2400 pack, which puts out enough to get maybe f8 or f5.6 on collodion.

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    Ari, most beauty dishes can be gridded, including the one made by PC Buff. Octoboxes usually cannot.
    Correction to my earlier statement. Actually, many octoboxes, including PCB, can be gridded.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

I have a need for a strobe kit for tintype and wet plate that can get me up to 4000w+, and after reading post after post I'm still not sure what to get. First off, I'm new to collodion work, new to using strobes as my studio has continuos lights, mostly spots, and has been fine for black and white film work, but I need a kit for tintypes. I've ruled out uv fluorescence, as well as any other form of lighting, and really need a kit that I can use in the studio as well as traveling to other locations where I have to shoot indoors. What I've found in looking at the mainstream brands are good prices on used 2000w to 2400w to 4300w second lights, but not that much on power packs. The ideal light would not require an external power pack, but I don't know it thats realistic or not. What I'm seeing is prices for a complete outfit running from around $1000.00 to $1500.00, and I'd like to find something for a bit less. I'll either have to sell a kidney or worse, my Kodak Masterview to come up with the funds. So, to the point, whats a good choice for used, high wattage for tintype and wet plate, that will last and can still get parts for. Oh, and idiot proof if possible.

RPippin, I sent you a PM about a 4000WS Norman set I have (two P2000Ds and an LH4000) in your price range and close enough for local pick-up a few days ago but you haven't responded. The most knowledgeable electronic flash guys I know are Brent Hollister and Ed Taylor at Holly Enterprises www.hollyflash.com. They will be happy to advise you on any prospective purchase of used equipment over the phone at (8128) 892-9020. They will suggest that you avoid all 4000WS packs due to reliability and repair costs. Two 2000WS packs and a bi-tube head are a better choice.