Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150mm sironar s or 120mm macro sironar

150mm sironar s or 120mm macro sironar

I have a 4x5 camera and I also have a 210mm lens. I can just barely double the bellows with the 210mm to get a 1:1 magnification. So I started thinking of getting a 150mm.

I was thinking of the 150 APO sironar s as it seems to be a great All around lens and pretty good at 1:1. Then I started thinking that the 210mm is a great all around lens so why not get a 120mm or a 180. macro...my worry is that the macro may be too limited in it's application (I have no idea and reviews don't seem to say much).

Any advice between a 150mm or a 120 or 180 macro?

Thanks. I know I'm going to get the standard "what do you shoot" question, so let me just say I do want to shoot still life.

Re: 150mm sironar s or 120mm macro sironar

What do you want to do? Very, very high quality macro from about 1:5 to 3:1 or general photography from infinity to 1:5?

If the former then you need a macro, Rodenstock made the Makro Sironar in 210 and 300 mm for 3:1 to 1:3. The front and rear groups had to be swapped to cover the full range. The 120 and 180mm Apo Macro Sironars covered a wider range, needed far less bellows and did not need to be swapped around.

Thanks Bob. My thoughts were that getting a 150 mm would be redundant as my 210mm APO sironar N would very similar (though slightly longer than the 150). However looking at some of the work here with the 150, it seems really good even at 1:1.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    Thanks Bob. My thoughts were that getting a 150 mm would be redundant as my 210mm APO sironar N would very similar (though slightly longer than the 150). However looking at some of the work here with the 150, it seems really good even at 1:1.
    You really don't see what the lens can do unless you are looking at actual film. It might look "good" but it would be much better at 1:1 with a macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You really don't see what the lens can do unless you are looking at actual film. It might look "good" but it would be much better at 1:1 with a macro.
    Thanks Bob! WOuld you have any thoughts between the 180mm and the 120mm macro? I'd really appreciate it.

Michael

Thanks Bob! WOuld you have any thoughts between the 180mm and the 120mm macro? I'd really appreciate it.

Michael
    What will you shoot and how much bellows do you have? If you do not want foreshortening to be very noticeable then you want the 180. If you do not have enough bellows to get to 1:1 with the 180 then you will need the 120.

Is there some reason you are only looking at Sironar? There are many other great lenses that might meet your needs. Check out a few at

www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

My 4x5 macros run from a 180mm Fujinon A for close-up work (1:5-1:1), Minolta 100mm Bellows Macro (1:1-5:1), Minolta 50mm Bellows Macro (5:1-10:1), Minolta 25mm Bellows Micro (10:1-15:1), and Minolta 12.5mm Bellows Micro (15:1-20:1). The last two are really microscope lenses helped along with Leica micro lens designs. You might think that 35mm lenses would not fill a 4x5 format, but they do with enough extension -- and they don't need much. The results are phenomenal, even with very large prints. Sure, you will need one or two adapters (I have a Minolta-to-Leica adapter and a Leica-to-Copal #1 adapter) but this approach opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

So, I'd determine what focal length lens you want first, and then look to see what is out there.

I have a 4x5 camera and I also have a 210mm lens. I can just barely double the bellows with the 210mm to get a 1:1 magnification. So I started thinking of getting a 150mm.

I was thinking of the 150 APO sironar s as it seems to be a great All around lens and pretty good at 1:1. Then I started thinking that the 210mm is a great all around lens so why not get a 120mm or a 180. macro...my worry is that the macro may be too limited in it's application (I have no idea and reviews don't seem to say much).

Any advice between a 150mm or a 120 or 180 macro?

Thanks. I know I'm going to get the standard "what do you shoot" question, so let me just say I do want to shoot still life.

Um, xkaes, this is a large format forum.

Lenses in mounts for 35 mm (or equivalent digital) SLRs are slightly taboo. Slightly because at high enough magnifications they'll certainly cover 4x5 and larger formats, but that's not where the OP wants to work.

You may be mistaken about the 25 and 12.5 Minolta bellows lenses. I've always thought they're rebadged Photars. Were yours made in Germany or Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Is there some reason you are only looking at Sironar? There are many other great lenses that might meet your needs. Check out a few at

www.subclub.org/fujinon/index.htm

My 4x5 macros run from a 180mm Fujinon A for close-up work (1:5-1:1), Minolta 100mm Bellows Macro (1:1-5:1), Minolta 50mm Bellows Macro (5:1-10:1), Minolta 25mm Bellows Micro (10:1-15:1), and Minolta 12.5mm Bellows Micro (15:1-20:1). The last two are really microscope lenses helped along with Leica micro lens designs. You might think that 35mm lenses would not fill a 4x5 format, but they do with enough extension -- and they don't need much. The results are phenomenal, even with very large prints. Sure, you will need one or two adapters (I have a Minolta-to-Leica adapter and a Leica-to-Copal #1 adapter) but this approach opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

So, I'd determine what focal length lens you want first, and then look to see what is out there.
    Thanks! I'll look into this info. I live in the Philippines (Asia) so it's not so easy to test lenses let alone experiment with them. So Rodenstock, Schneider, Fuji, and Nikon would be the go to lenses for me.

Having said that though, I do have a Wollensak Raptar 162mm enlarging lens but I have no idea how to fit a shutter on to it.

Um, I know this is a 4x5 LF group. Perhaps you need to re-read my message. Um.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, xkaes, this is a large format forum.

Lenses in mounts for 35 mm (or equivalent digital) SLRs are slightly taboo. Slightly because at high enough magnifications they'll certainly cover 4x5 and larger formats, but that's not where the OP wants to work.

You may be mistaken about the 25 and 12.5 Minolta bellows lenses. I've always thought they're rebadged Photars. Were yours made in Germany or Japan?