Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alec Soth, what do you think?

Drew Wiley

Re: Alec Soth, what do you think?

Oh, I think he's a solid hitter with a lot of competence. Some of his images are a bit too conspicuously "arty" for me and reminiscent of 70's themes, though he does it all very well, it seems. And I'm not a big fan of soft Portra off-color. But it's his main tool, apparently, and very proficient in that respect. I'd like to see his black and white work in print form rather than the web. Maybe someday. A very versatile guy. I've heard the live interviews before. Intelligent. Glad he's getting attention and making a go of it. Just doesn't influence me. I wouldn't mind owning a high-quality book of some of his images.

Re: definition of penultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/penultimate

penultimate
    [pi-nuhl-tuh-mit]

adjective
    next to the last:
    the penultimate scene of the play.
    Pardon my Britishism, but it was there I was educated. It also means/suggests that the referenced (usually art) is the very last likely to be created, but leaves open a humble allowance that another is possible, yet unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post

Here's a really good example I became aware of recently from another photographer: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb...hw2o1_1280.jpg
    It's a proof sheet of a very famous Diane Arbus photo that leaves me wondering how much of her work is documentary, how much pure opportunism and victimization of her subjects. I suspect the latter.
    Wow, great find! THANKS!

Ms. Diane Arbus' works always makes me uncomfortable, which I think, is what makes things work for her. It's great to see that contact sheet. On one hand, I can see why she selected THE photo, but on the other hand, it would not be the one I feel comfortable to show the world...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    With the publication of "Sleeping by the Mississippi" in 2004 he has been very well known-at least in my photo circles which are pretty diverse from academics to grumpy old fart LF affectionados.
    I love that work and the story he told us about it while speaking at Look3 this year was sooooo goooood! He was funny as heck, he had no idea what to say in going up against the likes of Sally Mann and David Alan Harvey so he made this kind of "Wheel of Fortune" in that he would spin it and then it would land on a topic. Everyone had a great time with the guy and he was super down to earth and modest when I spoke to him about Songbook which he happily signed.

I think he is fantastic and he really cares deeply for his subjects often engaging in life long friendships.

Now people have learned about Soth AND Hopper. Good educational thread for the participants! Really.

Drew Wiley

Hopper had tremendous influence of 70's color photographers, though I'd argue that the more they tried to copy him, the less productive they were. Once they found their own feet, in their own medium, then the influence was more beneficial. Painter's can do what we cannot, especially in the use of color. Hopper has a
    whole different ethos to today's audience, which views his work in a nostalgic sense, not as it was perceived in his own time. If any photographer has done a good
    analogous job, in my opinion it would be Rbt Adams, who didn't attempt the variable of color at all.

There is an exhibit of Soth's work at the Denver Art Museum running until late November. Come see!

I like his lighting and or printing

I think the atmosphere in his photos is that of distant suspended reality and is the true common
    Theme
    He could take pretty stunning pics of anything

His scenes are waiting for our arrival

I'd never heard of him either.

My impression having looked only at the website is rather like AtlantaTerry's - quite "snapshotty". Nothing held my interest for more than a moment or triggered the desire to go back and look at any photograph a second time. Perfectly nice, but nothing to enthuse about.

If I walked into a gallery and saw a properly curated exhibition, however, perhaps my impression would change. Or perhaps he is the sort of photographer who places his work in a (verbal) narrative context that I have overlooked.

Interesting for me to contrast this with another thread I that has appeared recently - that about John Leuba - where my response to the work was instantly much much less lukewarm.

Soth has some new stuff at the Denver Art Museum, there for another month or so. About twenty large black and white prints. Made to look like something you'd send into a newspaper for reproduction--low, sort of dead contrast.

http://denverartmuseum.org/exhibitio...orado-dispatch

Note: The picts on the web page have been adjusted to look bright and contrasty. Not how they look in real life.

They also have his most recent newspaper thingy in the gift shop. Haven't had a look at it yet--I've got monographs stacked several feet high at this point that I haven't had time to go through.

Also at the Denver Museum of Art is a nice show of Barbara Bosworth's work. I've only seen one or two of her prints before, not counting small reproductions and web stuff. Very cool. Highlight of the day for me.

--Darin