Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible major problem with my Epson 3800 printer

Re: Possible major problem with my Epson 3800 printer

Have you cleaned the purge pads for the maintenance cartridge? Excess ink on the pads may be getting onto the head, and thus the print. A google search should produce a video on how to clean the pads.
    Peter Y.

Does anybody know if Epson offers maintenace work on their own printers.I would like to get my printer a good maintenace job by someone who knows what their doing I don't trust myself.My printer is about five years old and has never given me any problems but I think a good cleaning is in store.

See the Epson web site to locate an authorized service center. For the USA, see http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...?UseCookie=yes and use the Service Center Locator on the right.

I am bringing my 3880 to an authorized service center in a few days.

Preston Birdwell

I used the very link Ken pointed out and found an Epson Service Center in Sacramento to work on my R2400 that had a problem with the main power switch. The tech replaced the switch assembly, replaced the waste ink pads, reset the counter, did a thorough cleaning and tested everything. I now have a well functioning printer that should last me another five years. It was worth 4 hours driving, the cost for parts and labor, and a morning at the center.

If there's an authorized service near you, they should be able to help, and it will probably be worth your time and money.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

If the other suggestions don't pan out, when was the last time you popped the carts out and agitated them enough to fully re-suspend all of the pigment (do not shake them violently or you could cause air gap issues)? If you have old carts in your old-ish 3800, some of the carts may have a enough pigment settling that it affects the color balance to the point it gives you unbalanced color output.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with someone from India and the first B&W print was fine then after I printed a few more the same problem was back.What about a bad ink cartridge,my color prints seem fine but the problem seems to be with B&W prints.

I hope you are running a lot of nozzle checks. How are they coming out? All channels clear and consistent?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

The real problem seems to be with making B&W prints.I'm having issues with color prints as well but my main problem is with B&W.Could old or bad ink be a culprit.I would think if it was bad ink EVERYTHING would look bad not just the B&W.What about reinstalling the Epson software into my computer,would that have any good/bad effect???

So you are saying all your nozzles are printing perfectly?

I have some carts that are 4-5 years old and still print fine.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    The real problem seems to be with making B&W prints.I'm having issues with color prints as well but my main problem is with B&W.Could old or bad ink be a culprit.I would think if it was bad ink EVERYTHING would look bad not just the B&W.What about reinstalling the Epson software into my computer,would that have any good/bad effect???
    Several people have already requested that you run nozzle checks. That's the ideal starting point because a clogged nozzle will certainly cause a color cast, and is a very common problem. And don;t trust the nozzle check that prints diagonal lines. use the one that prints solid blocks.

Until you run nozzle checks and report back, it isn;t worth anuyone speculating more on possible solutions.