Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: bad back = get a light weight 4x5" camera

Re: bad back = get a light weight 4x5" camera

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    This is my camera bag. http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-55...eeled+tool+bag

It keeps the weight on the ground and not on my shoulder or shoulders.
    Nice! Looks like it could handle 5x7 cameras easy enough too...

I would reduce the amount of lenses you carry. I carry two lenses in my bag when I go shooting and leave others in the car/truck/home. I don't carry a dedicated dark cloth. My speed graphic has a foldup hood, and if I need more, I use my shirt or jacket. (I do wear a tshirt under it, to spare people the non-model un-tan physique.) I carry the speed (if you like the crown that would be lighter), 2 lenses, film holders and light meter in one toolbag. Everything but the tripod in one modest bag that's small enough and light enough for carry-on. I've got a couple bad discs and my muscles and mind often say I can carry more than I really should. This is no problem for me for multiple miles of carry. The wooden cameras might be a little lighter, but I don't consider them as sturdy for my use of bigger old lenses.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140110_130710.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	137533

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Nice! Looks like it could handle 5x7 cameras easy enough too...
    I use it with an 8x10 Wehman. I can just fit my camera, 3 film holders, dark cloth and one lens in the large cavity. My Pentax digital spot meter, torpedo level, flashlight, etc. fit in the front pouch. I can carry additional film holders and lenses in a cheap vinyl cooler that sits on top of the bag. I usually take out the dark cloth and put it in the cooler with the film holders and my lenses in the bag for safety sake. I do have to carry my tripod unless my daughter is with me.

Coupla thoughts, Terry.

If you want a 7"/2.5 AE for y'r 4x5 RB Super D, check to make sure that it will focus to infinity on the camera. I could be mistaken, but IIRC it won't.

If you replace y'r stolen 4x5 Crown kit, consider not replacing the 135 Wolly. 135 is pretty close to 150. The 10"/5.6 Wolly tele would replace y'r TeleCongo nicely. I used to have one, it wasn't that heavy.

AFAIK the Toho FC-45X is more-or-less the lightest monorail going, seems lighter than many folders. You might want to consider one. See Kerry Thalmann's writeup at http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/toho.htm

I agree with with others. Also, I similarly am older and have a bad back.

You really do have to reduce the weight of everything. I use a carbon fiber tripod and light ball head. I sometimes carry a reusable canvas grocery bag and chord and weigh the tripod with a few rocks once I am there. I own a lightweight camera. My minimal kit is one lens(I use a 150mm much lighter than a 210 plasmat). I take the minimum number of small filters if at all. I purchased new wood film holders because they are lighter(though maybe not as well made as Toyo). I carry 2 holders with me and leave two others in the car. Forget the heavy camera bags, put the camera in one light bag and lens and other accessories in the other. If you don't mind nicking up your camera, put a light focusing cloth on your shoulder put the camera on the cf tripod(legs extended) and carry that on your shoulder then you only need one light camera bag. I keep my equipment in the car and use a composing card to scout an area, this minimizes the amount of lifting significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by john_6267 View Post
    <snip>
    I sometimes carry a reusable canvas grocery bag and cord and weigh the tripod with a few rocks once I am there.
    <snip>
    I read somewhere that you don't need the canvas bag. Instead use one of those mesh bags oranges and grapefruit come in. They are free and strong.

I believe Kirk uses a modified baby stroller to move his equipment. I think there is a picture somewhere in this forum. If I find it, I'll let you know.

On that Super D RB, The Aero Ektar won't work... Camera's too long... The smaller format models are shorter, but that big lens won't fit on it...

Since you are playing around with one now, read my post on how to measure your camera... (I think mine is the same model/era)

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...D-4x5-question

There are MANY other fish-in-the-sea to mount on it that won't rip the front standard off some camera!!!! (I have a AE from long ago that could probably go through a windshield if thrown hard enough!!!!)

Steve K

Vanannan

My lightweight backpacking 4x5 outfit is Gowland pocket view + 150mm f9 G Claron + late 90mm f6.8 Schneider Angulon in Copal shutter + 200mm f8 Nikkor M, My Gowland has been converted to take linhof lensboards, tripod is Gitzo GT3541L C/F, I have a smaller lighter tripod if needed.

Weight of outfit including 3 film holders, filters and bag 9 pounds 2 ounces, tripod not included, meter,loupe etc. are carried seperately in pockets or waist pack.

Small town, South Carolina, US

The availability of rangefinder focusing is important to me. For that reason the Crown Graphic (or Busch Pressman) is the best compromise.
    Saving weight comes from lighter lenses, lighter or less accessories and a lighter tripod and head.

By the way, I have a Galen Rowell camera bag that rides on my hip. No weight on the back or shoulders at all.